Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

carseat question

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 7 Replies
I just joined. I am due with #3 in January. I was wondering about carseats. I used the pumpkin seats with my oldest two and then later bought the convertible seats. But this time around I was thinking of buying the convertible seat right off and saving some money in the long run. But I know at the hospital they always check to see if your baby is in the seat properly and the seat is installed correctly. Would they have a problem with me using that seat? I have looked at the seat and it's good rearfacing 5-40lbs and forward facing 20-65lbs. My older two are 4 and 5 and they could ride rear facing in that seat if they weren't too tall for the seat altogether.

Unless my baby were to be really premature they'd be big enough for this seat no problem, but I don't want to argue with the hospital. Lol.
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AMCMSM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM

You should join the Car Seat group. A similar question was came up and I remember some of them saying not all convertible seats properly fit newborns. Even the ones 5-40lbs. Something about how low the straps go.

AustinRonMommy
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll join and see what they say.

Quoting AMCMSM:

You should join the Car Seat group. A similar question was came up and I remember some of them saying not all convertible seats properly fit newborns. Even the ones 5-40lbs. Something about how low the straps go.

momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM
There are plenty of convt seats to fit a newborn. You absolutely can do that instead of an infant carrier.
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

LOTS of convertibles can be used from birth.  :)  BUT I would join the Car Seat Safety group and ask those ladies to see what seat would be best for the long run.  There are so many different types.  And if your newbie doesn't quite fit then you can use rolled up receiving blankets or rags to help with the fit.  Do NOT use after-market inserts.  Congrats on your newest lil one!!!!  How exciting!!!

Just do some research and see what fits your budget and other seats......

Also.....as long as you have a seat they are fine with it.  Some have to "see" it and they will look in your car.  And then some people will actually take the convertible inside.  

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM
I wanted to use a convertible from birth with my next one too, but I was told most convertible seats don't fit newborns properly.
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Most convertible seats don't fit newborns. You can do it, but you need to know which one to buy. I know the Graco Myride is one.
TaralynnStewart
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I have a graco myride 65. It starts at 4lbs - 65lbs.
Rear face up to 40lbs
Forward face up to 65lbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)