Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Car seat trouble

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have a serious question here. My son is 13 months 25lbs & 31in. We have a Graco Headwise 70 & it goes to 40 rear facing but there is a small problem. We can't get the car seat in our car RF without interfering with how we are able to drive. My husbands seat has to be pushed back or he can't drive, he simply won't fit so driver side & middle are out. On the passenger side the seat has to be so far up that neither of us can see when someone is sitting there. I know legally he can FF due to KS state laws & the car seats limits. I don't want any crap about being a bad parent for possibly having to forward face my son & I don't want fighting in the comments, what I want is help. We can't afford the mini van right now, we can't safely drive as we are right now, and we truly don't know what to do.

I don't want to FF him but we don't have the funds for a new car seat or a new car. Do we just FF & pray nothing happens or do we RF & pray nothing happens?

And before anyone says it I KNOW REAR FACING IS SAFER!!! I know he should be that way until 2.
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Could you possibly sit in the back while your husband drives? Or could you make it so the seat is not so inclined?
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Is there any way to take the seat back to where you got it from and trade it for one that fits? Babies r us lets you try out some seats in your car to see if they fit.
Stevensmomma
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I had this same issues when we bought our new truck either put the seat in the center or buy a new seat I got a Britax 65 and it works great for RF 

littleapple65
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Our babies r is is over an hour away, I wound up putting it back on the passenger side we just can't have anyone sit upfront i guess.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Can u get a new carseat? And im really not judging, my 1 yr is ff, all 3 my kids ff at 1yr
littleapple65
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM
We can't afford a new seat, I would love to see if the Chicco Nextfit or Diono Radiant would fit but it just won't happen.
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM

If you canNOT get a good install RF then he is safer FF.  Make sense?  A good tight install is safest!!!  I have not played with this seat, but you have adjusted the angle or tried it in the middle seat?  Since he's older you can have his seat sitting up more.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM

What car do you have?  How angled is the seat?  At his age, the seat can be almost totally upright to be installed RF.  Have you asked in the Car Seat Safety group?

angela.bouchard
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Maybe make it so it isn't so inclined?
mylilprincesses
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM
First off. Where is seat located in the back seat? Middle or sides?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN