Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How do I know-

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 13 Replies

When your baby is ready for a faster flow nipple? 

My little man is eating 5-6oz in a feeding and it has been taking him 30 to 40 minutes to finish a bottle. When he was eating 3-4 oz he was finishing it in about 15-20 minutes. 

So I was thinking it may be time for a faster nipple flow. What do you think?

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

bump

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I wouldn't. I would stick to the slow flow and make the next transition to a cup when the time comes.
I don't understand why you would switch to a faster flow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Spring.Mom
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

It is just taking him much longer to eat than it use to. I figured they make the different flows... Why wouldn't you use them? At what point did you give your lo a cup?

Quoting polkaspots:

I wouldn't. I would stick to the slow flow and make the next transition to a cup when the time comes.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I only used the slow flow..And went to hard spout sippy cup. The both were bottle free by 9months or so. Also depends on child when they are ready, each child is different. 

Quoting Spring.Mom:

It is just taking him much longer to eat than it use to. I figured they make the different flows... Why wouldn't you use them? At what point did you give your lo a cup?

Quoting polkaspots:

nicole2884
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM
How old is he what bottle are you using I know with Dr Brown it is suggested to go up a number in nipple every 3 months but I agree with you it sounds like he is ready
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Dd got one between five and six months, and ds got one shortly after six months. I start cups when they start sitting at the table at meal times. Both were entirely using cups by their first birthdays except for dd's middle of the night bottle which lasted a few more months. Dd used a sippy cup or a regular cup with a straw, and ds skipped the sippy and just used straw cups with valves for a few months until he could be trusted to use a regular cup with a straw.
Everyone in my family thinks I'm weird because my kids drink out of regular glasses, but my oldest is three and has never broken any dishes.

Quoting Spring.Mom:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Spring.Mom
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM
He is 3 months and I am using playtex air vent.

Quoting nicole2884:

How old is he what bottle are you using I know with Dr Brown it is suggested to go up a number in nipple every 3 months but I agree with you it sounds like he is ready

alandou
by April on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Is he fussing at all during the feedings? Like he's trying to get more out faster? If so, you might try the next flow size.  I might be concerned that he could be gulping in extra air trying to suck faster to get more out of the bottle quicker. If you did go to the next size up, you have to watch out for gulping as well because he might be trying to keep up with the flow. That extra air could cause discomfort and gas in the tummy. It's just kind of a trial and error thing I guess. You could try the next size and see how it goes :) I had used the larger NUK bottles for my dd and she did really well with them.

hswartz
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Also keep in mind that if you go up to the next size he might get too much at once. A lot of babies don't like faster flow.

PEEK05
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I don't know.  We don't do bottles.  Here is a bump for more answers. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)