Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

family trip...

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi all.

I have an almost 9 month old. Our wedding anniversary is in November and we kinda want to do something (since we didn't get to last year since I was on bed rest nor did we have a honeymoon--TMI?).

Our son will be 10.5 months then and we will, of course, be taking him with us. It'll be a short trip, maybe 2-3 days.

I was thinking the aquarium would be fun? I know he gets distracted pretty easily but at 10.5 months will the fish even slightly interest him?

Also it's like a 3-4 hour drive, we've never been in the car for that long before, how do you think he'll do. I am planning at least 1 stop before we get into the city for a nursing stop.

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, baby wearing, Pit Bull loving (3/24/10), holistic, paleo eating, natural and gentle stay-at-home wife (11/11/11) and mommy (12/25/12)
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
waytomanykids10
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I suggest leave when he is tired, that way he sleeps. When we go on a trip we leave around morning naps and that way the babies sleep the majority of the time in the car.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM

We always left at like 4 a.m. so the kid's would sleep most of the ride

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I agree with leaving at nap or bed time.  I always wait until like 8pm to leave for our 2 hour drive (every 4-6 weeks to my parents) so they sleep and I can just move them to a bed.  When we go to Branson (6.5 hour drive) we wake up early and eat a huge breakfast and then get in the car with full bellies so they sleep, stop when they wake, use the bathroom (all of mine are potty trained now, but before it was a diaper change) get a snack and drink and back in the car, stop a couple hours later for lunch and pray for another nap after lunch and get there mid afternoon, play around the hotel/pool or find a park and then do our planned activities the next day...we generally leave after lunch on the day coming back so they'll nap/sleep.

abra
by Abra on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
That sounds like fun!
abra
by Abra on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM
…and congratulations on your anniversary!!
slgilliam
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I have a 7 month old. We have taken three trips that we drove to visit family several states and hours away. She did good. She was 5 and 6 months old at the time. We just left in the morning after we fed her. I had toys that she played with. We stopped every 2-3 hours so she could get some air, eat and be changed. She did really good. She only had one melt down and that was around her bed time when she couldn't stretch out like she really wanted to. Usually my hubby or I would sit in the back with her so she wasn't lonely.

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM

We took DD to the aquarium when she was 18 months and DS when he was almost 4 months (different trips). Both babies enjoyed looking at the fish, but DS slept in the carrier for a good chunk of the trip. Feeding the baby and leaving right before a naptime works pretty well for long car trips, but also bringing along a variety of toys for an older baby helps too. 

aj_mom
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM

When DD was about that age we did a 14 hr trip with her and she did wonderfully.  Just make sure you have things to entertain and snacks/drinks readily available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN