Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DD is on one formula, but I have so many others in the pantry...

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM
  • 12 Replies

She is on Smilac Advance, but I have a few bottles of those ready to use Enfamil bottles in my pantry along with some geber goodstart. I have tried staying away from using any different formulas for fear of upsetting her stomach. 

Shes 10 months old now, and having those ready to use formulas on hand while we're out and about just in case would really make me feel better, just so I know she has something to eat. 

Does well on her solids, eats EVERYTHING (this little girl actually likes lemons), and doesn't seem to get ill from trying anything new. Should I give this formula away or would it be okay to use it in case of an emergency? 

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilTymomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I think emergencies only, but would be nice to give them to someone who will use them. I know I had a lot of formula left after my boy switch to milk. You are only two months away.
MalloryR
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:55 AM
I've had to give my son Enfamil, then Similac within 24 hours and nothing bad happened.
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Well he should be coming off of formula in the next two months anyways so I would hold them until then, just in case.

AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I was told not to be constantly changing formula. If I was going to her her something else then I was told to mix them in slowly over a week or two she could be on the new one. I understand where your coming from, I have a ton of single serving pouches and the already mixed. She is on Kirkland brand, and when we go out I just put some in a small plastic container with a bottle of water.

I think I'm going to look up food banks that will be able to give it to someone who needs it.
lauratupper
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM

If they aren't opened you could donate them.

AliceNonsense
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM
IF you do decide to use a different kind then I would stay on that for at least 2 weeks before switching back/to a new one.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM
As long as there are no allergies you're fine using whatever. All those formulas are basically the same. With dd I used enfamil at home and similac prepared bottles while we were out since I couldn't boil water to make the formula properly. A few times we used different brands based on what I had coupns for and what was on sale that week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I personally would donate them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM
This. Ds has had gerber goodstart from wic but after wic runs out i get parents choice advanced or premium. It doesnt bother him. The only thing ive noticed is gerber seems to be thinner than gerber parents choice causing him to spit up more.

Quoting polkaspots:

As long as there are no allergies you're fine using whatever. All those formulas are basically the same. With dd I used enfamil at home and similac prepared bottles while we were out since I couldn't boil water to make the formula properly. A few times we used different brands based on what I had coupns for and what was on sale that week.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I don't understand the concern with using different formulas as long as they're all basic ones. Obviously of your kid is on a soy formula or something then it matters, but the basic ones are all pretty much the same.

Quoting Ilaynasmommy:

This. Ds has had gerber goodstart from wic but after wic runs out i get parents choice advanced or premium. It doesnt bother him. The only thing ive noticed is gerber seems to be thinner than gerber parents choice causing him to spit up more.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)