Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Car seat help!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 9 Replies
I'm a first time, single mom and I have no idea what I'm doing! My six month old has outgrown his infant car seat. He's a big guy.. about 21 lbs and 29 inches long, so I'm looking for something that can accommodate a solid/tall kiddo as he gets older. I am interested in britax models but am open to other suggestions. My problem is that I drive a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix, and I don't want to have to buy a carseat only to return it if it doesn't install correctly.
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommabearsfirst
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Evenflo is great try the triumph or they have titan I think.
Ptitchou
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Britax is fantastically easy to install:)
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd suggest joining the car seat safety group. Here's a bump. :-)
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
ok, Britax seats can be compact to install, but they are not long lasting for tall kids. for a small car I would look at the chicco nextfit, graco size4me/ headwise/mysize, or the safety 1st guide65, they will likely be your best bets for height and yet still be compact enough to fit. if you have a buy buy baby or toys r us/ babies r us nearby you can go try them in your vehicle first
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I would also second the car seat board, and I would join car seats for the littles on Facebook
awesomemommy2
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

That is the problem I had with the Britax.   My kids are tall and even at the highest shoulder setting we had a problem so when my second was old enough to go to a convertible we went with the Safety 1st which we got at Costco.   Some say its hard to install but I never had a problem but we also arent moving seats all the time.   I love that you can adjust the straps easily for height and that it easily reclines.   We now have two of them for our 3 year old and 5 year old.   My 7 year old (53") still fits in it as a booster using the seat belt although he rarely uses it I love that any of my kids can fit in it.     

Quoting emkirkley:

ok, Britax seats can be compact to install, but they are not long lasting for tall kids. for a small car I would look at the chicco nextfit, graco size4me/ headwise/mysize, or the safety 1st guide65, they will likely be your best bets for height and yet still be compact enough to fit. if you have a buy buy baby or toys r us/ babies r us nearby you can go try them in your vehicle first

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
are you sure the belt fits your 7 year old properly? The cosco 3-in-1 seats are notorious for positioning the belt over the belly instead of thighs/hips, which can be dangerous in an accident, it's the only booster still on the not recommended list because it positions the seatbelt so poorly on most children.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

That is the problem I had with the Britax.   My kids are tall and even at the highest shoulder setting we had a problem so when my second was old enough to go to a convertible we went with the Safety 1st which we got at Costco.   Some say its hard to install but I never had a problem but we also arent moving seats all the time.   I love that you can adjust the straps easily for height and that it easily reclines.   We now have two of them for our 3 year old and 5 year old.   My 7 year old (53") still fits in it as a booster using the seat belt although he rarely uses it I love that any of my kids can fit in it.     

Quoting emkirkley:

awesomemommy2
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I think if the seat is not installed correctly or reclined then that is the problem but in its unright position with the seatbelt through the guides I have never had a problem.   My kids are also tall and thin so that may also factor in.   I also think that all seats do not fit each child the same.   If a child is tall but because his legs are long you are going to get a very different fit than a same height child with a long torso.   Also weight is a huge factor and that is with any seat.   

Quoting emkirkley:

are you sure the belt fits your 7 year old properly? The cosco 3-in-1 seats are notorious for positioning the belt over the belly instead of thighs/hips, which can be dangerous in an accident, it's the only booster still on the not recommended list because it positions the seatbelt so poorly on most children.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Quoting emkirkley:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I understand your point, mine it's this, if the setbelt is on his belly, not his thighs, its dangerous, so plwase check that the next time hes in the seat
eta:99pct of children in taht booster dont fit properly and its generally worse in thinner children

quoting awesomemommy2:I think if the seat is not installed correctly or reclined then that is the problem but in its unright position with the seatbelt through the guides I have never had a problem.   My kids are also tall and thin so that may also factor in.   I also think that all seats do not fit each child the same.   If a child is tall but because his legs are long you are going to get a very different fit than a same height child with a long torso.   Also weight is a huge factor and that is with any seat.   
Quoting emkirkley: are you sure the belt fits your 7 year old properly? The cosco 3-in-1 seats are notorious for positioning the belt over the belly instead of thighs/hips, which can be dangerous in an accident, it's the only booster still on the not recommended list because it positions the seatbelt so poorly on most children.

Quoting awesomemommy2:That is the problem I had with the Britax.   My kids are tall and even at the highest shoulder setting we had a problem so when my second was old enough to go to a convertible we went with the Safety 1st which we got at Costco.   Some say its hard to install but I never had a problem but we also arent moving seats all the time.   I love that you can adjust the straps easily for height and that it easily reclines.   We now have two of them for our 3 year old and 5 year old.   My 7 year old (53") still fits in it as a booster using the seat belt although he rarely uses it I love that any of my kids can fit in it.     
Quoting emkirkley: ok, Britax seats can be compact to install, but they are not long lasting for tall kids. for a small car I would look at the chicco nextfit, graco size4me/ headwise/mysize, or the safety 1st guide65, they will likely be your best bets for height and yet still be compact enough to fit. if you have a buy buy baby or toys r us/ babies r us nearby you can go try them in your vehicle first

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)