Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Can I take my own baby food through airport security?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM
  • 11 Replies

DD is 9 months and we are flying with her for the first time this week. She typically gets solids 2-3 times a day and I usually make it myself, however, do you think I will be able to take my own through security or should it be a bought sealed container? The airport site doesn't really specify. I copy and pasted what the site says below:

Declare larger liquids. Medically required liquids, such as baby formula and food, breast milk and medications are allowed in excess of 3.4 ounces in reasonable quantities for the flight. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag. However, you must tell the Transportation Security Officer that you have medically necessary liquids at the beginning of the screening checkpoint process. Medically required liquids will be subjected to additional screening that could include being asked to open the container.  We recommend, but do not require, that medication be labeled to facilitate the security process.

Anyone have experience with this? I know that solids are not required at this age so am I better off leaving solids behind for our flight? I still plan on taking some of her puff snacks, yogurt bites or mum mums because I know that won't be an issue and will be a useful distraction on the plane. Any kind of food tends to keep her occupied and in a good mood. lol

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MinglingMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

BUMP!

slgilliam
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You're better off leaving solids home on this trip or buy a little bit when you get there in my opinion. I flew with my daughter this summer at 6 months and I was allowed to only have 1 prepared bottle for her. I flew home on an emergency basis so I ended up having to throw out her oatmeal and fruit we had originally brought with us when we drove. We flew with Southwest if that helps and/or makes a difference.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Your best bet would be to call the airlines. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Your best bet would be to call the airlines. :)

MinglingMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I'm so sick and tired of the stupid liquids rule. I get the reasoning but hate that someone had to ruin it for everyone.

I'm taking her powdered formula through and buying bottled water when I get through security. I don't know if our airport even sells babyfood past security. That would sort of solve my problems. I prefer to make my own but I would buy one tiny jar to avoid the hassle.

Quoting slgilliam:

You're better off leaving solids home on this trip or buy a little bit when you get there in my opinion. I flew with my daughter this summer at 6 months and I was allowed to only have 1 prepared bottle for her. I flew home on an emergency basis so I ended up having to throw out her oatmeal and fruit we had originally brought with us when we drove. We flew with Southwest if that helps and/or makes a difference.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I would call the airline.

abra
by Abra on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
this is my experience, too. I used to bring powder formula and buy bottled water after we got through security to mix it with.

Quoting slgilliam:

MinglingMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I was planning on doing with the formula. Good thing she doesn't mind it cold. lol. I was told that some flight attendants will give you warm water on the plane for bottles too.

Quoting abra:

this is my experience, too. I used to bring powder formula and buy bottled water after we got through security to mix it with.

Quoting slgilliam:

emshab
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM

They will let you take liquid throw for babies/toddlers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN