Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Germ freak

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 15 Replies
My daughter is almost five months old. Ever since she was born I have become a total germ freak. Hand sanitizer and sanitizer wipes have become my favorite things. I cringe when friends with kids come to my house, and I make sure to wipe down everything they touch when they leave. Anyone who holds baby must use hand sanitizer. But husband thinks I'm going over board, but I don't know what people have on them! What has motherhood brought out in you?
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alandou
by April on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi, I'm April and I'm a... germ freak too. LOL. I became much more aware of my surroundings once I had my daughter. I carried my own sanitizing wipes and gel. I wipe down carts like crazy. I'd also wipe down highchairs and the table area where my dd would be eating if we went out for dinner. I know kids need to be exposed to germs to help their immune system grow strong but like I said... I'm a germ freak too!
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I was a germ freak with my oldest and she was my chronically sick child. With my younger kids I quit freaking and realized gems and all are good for them and the only sickness they've ever had is the occasional mild cold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I carry hand sanitizer at all times, but that's because it only gets touched to get moved back and forth between bags. It gets moved with my pads since I've had maybe four periods since 2011. DH is always sick so there's really no point in trying to hide the kids from germs. They live with one.
I used to walk around with a wallet, cigarettes and a lighter. That's it. Since my first pregnancy I've carried a purse or bag of some sort every time I leave the house. Today I left my house with a full sized backpack and a tote bag since we're not going home until tomorrow or the next day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Niki513
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:39 AM
2 moms liked this
That didn't happen for me. I put my LO out on the grass and dirt outside... They need some contact with germs for their bodies to learn how to fight off infections and whatnot!
mylilprincesses
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol I have become the same way. When they are sick. First week of my oldest being in school she caught a cold and I sent hand sanitizer with her to school. .hoping she would use it. .which it never stayed there. Lol I go lysol crazy when one gets sick.
AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM
That's what my husband is worried about. But she also has been getting thrush since about a month old, so that the other reason anything that goes in her mouth is cleaned.

Quoting larissalarie:

I was a germ freak with my oldest and she was my chronically sick child. With my younger kids I quit freaking and realized gems and all are good for them and the only sickness they've ever had is the occasional mild cold.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I have 4 kids so be this point, I'm not as much as a germ freak that I was. But I used to be pretty bad.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm the opposite. I would never let anyone who has used hand sanitizer hold my baby. I would make them go wash it off their hands.

We don't use any antibacterial soaps or wipes. They kill the good bacteria as well, which is an important part of our immune system/ environment.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

You are going overboard, you kid is going to be sick all the time when she gets into school. They need to be exposed to germs so they can build up that immunity.

Marti123
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Getting ready to have my 3rd, and I've given up on germ warfare, older brothers I am sure are like Petri dishes of organisms. But was definitely phobic with my first!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)