Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Starting solids! Hmm

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:32 AM
  • 30 Replies
Well my sons pediatrician is probably going to be upset with me when I tell him that I've started solids. My son is four months old and I've read a lot on the Internet about babies starting solids between 4 and 6 months but at the 2 month appointment for my son the doctor said not until 6 months. And the woman who does my WIC also told me not until 6 months and they don't start giving me baby food until he is six months. But anyway I think I'm the mom and I think he needs solids now. I started giving him solids because #1 He was eating WAY to many bottles daily. I went through 1 can of formula in 3 days!!! #2 I would occasionally let him have a tiny taste of my food and he got to the point where he'd scream and cry for more and I'd have to give him a bottle. Well since I've been giving him food he's consuming less formula! Still getting plenty though. He loves food too he opens his mouth for the spoon and he eats it instead of pushing it out with his tounge! So I think my LO is ready. I don't understand why I'd have to wait until 6 months because he's hungry NOW and he digests it just perfectly fine!
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM
3 moms liked this
Just so you know, solid food should not replace formula until closer to a year old. His body can't digest the solids properly until then. If you want to continue, that is your choice but know that formula should be given first so he can grow and then the solids. Solids are just for fun and learning at this point and should not be used for nutritional purposes yet.

When I was a first time mom, I was the same way. I could hardly wait until my baby started solids and was so proud that he did so well at four months! And then the allergies started. He had problems digesting certain foods until he was 4 years old. Now, would it have been different if I had waited until his body was ready to digest solids? I'll never know but there is a possibility that we would not have had to go through all those struggles if I had just waited. I now have four and I wait. None of my others, so far, as developed any kind of food problems. Just some food for thought :)
LoriAnn87
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I started both my of my boys on solids at 4 months. My youngest has been on solids since he was 4 months and still get his bottle before or after he eats.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
You shouldn't be replacing formula or breast milk with solid food. I have never formula fed, but from what I've read on here, a can every few days sounds pretty normal.

My kids start between 7-10 months. My youngest is 8 months today and eats whatever we do. She started a few weeks ago.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I've never started solids that young. So I can't relate.

waytomanykids10
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never started feeding solids until they can pick it up off of their tray on their own. None of my kids started eating solids until they were 8-12 months old.

brittany208
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

most moms on here are going to tell you 6 months as well.

Niki513
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I think it depends on the baby. Every baby is different.
expectantmom81
by Erin on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I personally didn't start till after 6 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Yea, different as in some are ready at 6 months and some are ready at 12. I've yet to meet a 4 mo old with the motor skills needed to chew food.

Quoting Niki513:

I think it depends on the baby. Every baby is different.
Niki513
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Wow. These sites are full of rude people. I could say the nicest happiest thing ever and people would start bashing or being rude.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)