Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need sleep help/advice

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 5 Replies

So my DS was sleeping through the night at about 12 weeks (I mean 7-10 hours at a time). Then he started crawling and pulling himself up about a month ago and was cutting 2 new teeth at the same time. It was pretty much a nightmare! To add to the upset he started waking up 1-3 times a night screaming his little head off. If we put him in bed with us he immediately goes back to sleep. If we pick him up and snuggle him he is wide awake. His crib is still in our room so we can't really just try to Ferberize him and let him figure out how to self soothe, cause then we all suffer.

I've read that when babies hit certain milestones they experience sleep regression and have to relearn to sslf-soothe and to sleep. Any tips on how to get him to go back to sleeping through the night?

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

First the fact that you won't do CIO because you would suffer should be enough to never do it at all. 

First babies don't know really know how to "self sooth" they either know how to put themself to sleep or they don't. 

I'm very pro co-sleeping so that would be my main suggestion lol.

You could also try rocking him or side caring the crib to your bed.

lauratupper
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Quoting Retrokitty:

First the fact that you won't do CIO because you would suffer should be enough to never do it at all. 

First babies don't know really know how to "self sooth" they either know how to put themself to sleep or they don't. 

I'm very pro co-sleeping so that would be my main suggestion lol.

You could also try rocking him or side caring the crib to your bed.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Him sleeping through the night that early was not progress, it was a phase. For the first three months mine slept from night until morning only waking to nurse for a few minutes. Just do what works for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeFit-Mom
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Forget harsh baby sleep training methods like cry-it-out and "Ferberizing," instead, sleep train with music!

Sleep training with music involves playing soft, no words, music that is at 60 beats per minute, which matches resting heart rate. Within minutes of listening to this type of music, baby's blood pressure, respiration rate, and heart rate will lower. This creates the phsyical state necessry for sleep to occur.

Because this system is physiology-based, it works with babies of all temperaments.

Repeated use of sleep training music creates a bio-feedback loop, so you baby learns to associate the music with drifting off to sleep. The more that you use this technique, the faster your baby will fall asleep, as the stimulus/response patterns deepen.

Easy, natural, inexpensive, amazingly effective.

Google my screen name to find this type of music.

BeFit-Mom

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
This is normal. He will go back to sleeping that much when he is ready. Children change their sleeping patterns a LOT during the first two years!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)