Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Flat Head syndrome, do alternate the direction your baby's head faces when you place him or her to sleep to avoid flat head?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 18 Replies

This is my first baby. When my mom called me to give me some tips on raising baby, one of the thing she stressed about is that I need to alternate my baby's head position so he doesn't develop a "flat head".

I recently heard on a tv news report that studies show kids who sleep on their back a lot develops flat head or flat spot. And with a flat head, they learn slower than their peers. And the study is still ongoing.

I probably took it too far, but ever since my mom told me that, every 1-2hour for the first month, I would wake up and try to alternate his head position. During the day, I try hard not to let him lay on his back too much. I would carry him a lot or force him to do tummy time.Towards the second month, I was getting 2-3hours of sleep at night, and I was cranky in the day, so I gave up worrying about adjusting his head position so much.

Now, at 4months, I just position his head once or twice differently a night. Or some nights, not at all if he doesn't wake up, or if I'm too tired to wake up, I will just let him sleep on his back.

Do you mommies try to alternate your babie's head position to avoid flat head/flat spots, or just let your babies be?

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I never did but I also co-sleep and baby wear/hold my babies a lot.
LEY1307
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM
My 4 month old has a flat head in the back. No matter what I do, he turns his head and lays on the flat spot.
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM
He never laid down during the day except for during growth spurts.
At night he switched breasts every one or two hours so i always moved him sides.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baby7810
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

mine sleeps on her tummy so i just make sure she isnt face down

GwenGray
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I just didn't have my kids laying down all the time. My son's would only sleep on their tummys or sides too, so that kinda helped. 

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I hold my babies a lot and never had an issue. I also bed share and they usually face my breast.
937mrsweaver
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Yes, I rotated sides when he was sleeping. When he was awake though, I never just had him laying there ... He still got a bit of a flat spot... You seem like you are doing good though, Don't worry so much and when baby is awake do tummy time, walker, play, have him sit up etc..

Good luck !

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM

No.  My babies bed share until around 6 months or so, and so their necks are resting on the back of my arm and we switch sleeping positions with each nursing session during the night, but their head is rarely on the mattress then.  I also hold my babies during the day more than they are on the floor, bouncy or anything like that while they are young.

I would not wake up and move my babies head during the night.

I have five kids and never done that. 

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Never. Neither of my kids started sleeping on their backs until they were closer to a year old anyway. Both of them slept on their sides or on their stomachs and would move on their own during the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slgilliam
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

No - my daughter has always turned her head to either side when she sleeps. Now that she is more mobile she actually prefers to sleep on her side(s).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)