Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Month Old Not Sleeping Through the Night, any tips? Please ladies!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM
  • 20 Replies

My daughter is 9 mos old and still wakes up every 2 hours, on a good night. On a bad night, it can be 30min-1hr and a couple times of having to completely rock her back to sleep like a newborn. She has been dealing with teeth trying to come in for months, and initially I thought that had some to do with her behavior.

However, I have tried gels, teething tablets, nothing seems to help her sleep any longer. I understand this is the stage where separation anxiety often comes into play.

As for other tips I have been given already, such as rice cereal in a bottle, she does not take bottles at all. She is ebf besides her solids.

She eats her dinner of solids, then takes a bath, breastfeeds to top her off, every single night. The routine and the solids in her tummy also make no difference in her ability to stay asleep.

I am at my wits end here. I know some people just deal with their children not sleeping until into toddler-hood but this is killing me, especially the nights where she is awake after a half hour or hour. There are nights where I don't have time to fall asleep before she wakes up again. During the day when I attempt to rock her to sleep for her nap, I often find myself falling asleep sitting up from sheer exhaustion.

She has been nursing on demand throughout the night still because at times if I do not choose to feed her, she refuses to go back to sleep.

Tips, tricks, anything. Before I go crazy.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
At 9 months i ended up having to give infant tylonal for pain at night. Teeth coming in hurt, plus the pressure from it while lying down hurt his ears. So i gave... 1/2teaspoon at night then he fell asleep to a feeding. Helped him sleep, good luck
expectantmom81
by Erin on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM
With both my boys we did CIO which a lot of moms don't agree with but for us it worked wonderful. One thing I always suggest is using a shirt that you have worn as a blanket for baby cause it will have your scent on it which is comforting for them. Have you tried a binky instead of offering milk during the night? We also use a fan as background noise which helps for sleeping too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aireeahnah
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I also don't really agree with CIO. :/ I would probably only use it as a complete and utter last resort if she was still continuing this habit by like a year old.

I do use a binky after feedings, which puts her to sleep, as well as the fan as background noise.

The shirt is a great idea though, thank you for the detailed reply. :)

Quoting expectantmom81:

With both my boys we did CIO which a lot of moms don't agree with but for us it worked wonderful. One thing I always suggest is using a shirt that you have worn as a blanket for baby cause it will have your scent on it which is comforting for them. Have you tried a binky instead of offering milk during the night? We also use a fan as background noise which helps for sleeping too.

CafeMom Tickers
JadeTigr7
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Do you bed-share?

I just nurse my baby when she wakes up, she wakes up every 2-3 hours at night to nurse back to sleep.  No weaning of any type should happen before a year of age.

I know it's hard, but more than likely you'll just have to wait until she's ready to sleep for longer periods. 

Aireeahnah
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Yes and no to the bed sharing. She wasas exclusively in bed with me until about four months. Then she was in her own pack and play beside our bed until about 6 1/2 months.

Once her teeth started coming in she had trouble falling asleep on her own again, so she has been in and out. I let her fall asleep with me and then put her back down unless she continuously wakes up being on her own.

Thanks for the reply. Guess if I have to tough it out longer I will. Just stressful is all mama.

:)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Do you bed-share?

I just nurse my baby when she wakes up, she wakes up every 2-3 hours at night to nurse back to sleep.  No weaning of any type should happen before a year of age.

I know it's hard, but more than likely you'll just have to wait until she's ready to sleep for longer periods. 

Nicki1995
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM
My 18 mo doesn't sleep through the night. lol I'm sorry, but there isn't much you can do. Put the baby in your bed when she wakes up! That's what we did/do to get a little extra sleep.
ballerina.2006
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
My ds1 didn't sleep through the night until almost 4 and now at almost 5 he still has nights he can't/won't sleep all night.

Is their a food sensitivity/allergy perhaps? Have you tried tylenol at night or having her sleep slightly inclined (rolled blanket under the mattress)? What about naps. How many a day? When is the latest one? Maybe scaling back to a late morning or early afternoon nap as the only nap may help tire her.
Lzabierek
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Im sorry i wish I could help :( but my ds (10 mo ths old) has been sleeping through the night since he was 1 month old.

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM

She will do it when she is ready.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

JadeTigr7
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Trust me I know.  My baby sleeps in bed with me half the time, and the other half of the time in a pack n play.

She doesn't always sleep well (althought it's pretty rare right now for her to have problems), and sometimes I have to get up and "bounce" her to get her to go back to sleep.

I have five kids, so getting adequate sleep would be nice,  but I also know that this time won't last forever.  I try to just enjoy the quiet one on one time we get at night to try and not go insane with lack of sleep. :) 

Quoting Aireeahnah:

Yes and no to the bed sharing. She wasas exclusively in bed with me until about four months. Then she was in her own pack and play beside our bed until about 6 1/2 months.

Once her teeth started coming in she had trouble falling asleep on her own again, so she has been in and out. I let her fall asleep with me and then put her back down unless she continuously wakes up being on her own.

Thanks for the reply. Guess if I have to tough it out longer I will. Just stressful is all mama.

:)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Do you bed-share?

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)