Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Friendly Debate: Halloween!

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 53 Replies

Do you celebrate? Do you dress your kid's up? Do you go trick or treating? Do you limit candy for your kids? Share any and all thoughts regarding halloween : )

happy halloween

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Yes, yes and yes. I limit it a bit but not over the top. We don't give candy on a regular basis so I don't have any problem with him eating more on holidays or at birthday parties.
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not too into Halloween, but decorate for Autumn. I dress the kids up and DD went trick or treating last year (and will again this year). She's still little and will only trick or treat for a couple of blocks, so she doesn't collect that much candy, but I limit how much she can eat at once and what access she has to her stash.

DS will only be 7 months. I'll dress him up, but no trick-or-treating for him this year.

babygomez
by April on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
We do it all! :) They can have quite a few pieces of candy that night. They're usually allowed to have candy here and there.
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We do not celebrate Halloween.
abra
by Abra on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Yes, even though we are Christians, we do celebrate and this is why: http://dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/halloween.html. She sort reason why is that Reformation Day belonged to us long before silly ideas about Halloween started...we want our celebration back! 

Our kids do dress up, but not as "evil" things. No witches our gouls, although I have no problem with ghosts. 

We let the kids have a lot of candy but make sure they don't eat so much that they will regret it the next day. 

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Yes we let the kids dress up and trick-or-treat. They also get to eat a lot of candy that night and the next day (since its past their bedtime by the time we get back home, they really get to have their candy the next day) and then it's back to normal healthy eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
We all dress up an walk the neighborhood, kids run up to houses. We limit how much they eat at one time, because otherwise they would eat the over flowing bucket all at once
alandou
by April on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM
We allow trick or treating in safe areas and events such as churches, zoos and the mall. We don't do neighborhoods yet. Dh and I would dress up wirh dd but we never have the money to do it.
Devious103102
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Halloween is my all time FAV holiday. Yes we celebrate, go out trick or treating with the kids and we do limit candy a bit.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting larissalarie:

Yes we let the kids dress up and trick-or-treat. They also get to eat a lot of candy that night and the next day (since its past their bedtime by the time we get back home, they really get to have their candy the next day) and then it's back to normal healthy eating.

I say that too "normal healthy eating" lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)