Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How do I help my toddler cope with seperation anxiety?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:11 AM
  • 9 Replies
He just turned one and it is worse than ever, when I am getting ready for work, it begins. He gets very clingy and whines and cries when I put my shoes on. They usually walk out to the car with me (maybe that's bad) . He cried for 30 minutes after I left for work last night and moped around until bedtime. I hate that he's having such a hard time but what can help? Should I stop letting him walk me to the car? Dh usually picks him up and takes him right in after a quick goodbye.
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Tatertot912
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Bump
nicole2884
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:31 AM
No its important that you say goodbye reassure him your coming back an eventually he well catch on

SAMI_JO
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was that way up until he was about 8yrs. It was always just the two of us, and when I would leave for work he stayed with my mom and dad, but would scream, hit and scratch. What helped for us was I took a picture of me and printed it on the iron on transfer paper, and put it on a premie onsie, and put it on his favorite stuffed animal. And on the picture I wrote in caption, "Mommy will always come back for you!" My mom and dad would show him the picture when he would start crying, and of course he had to watch his favorite video.

Tatertot912
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:35 AM
I was just wondering if walking me to the car maybe was making it worse for him because he knows I'm leaving instead of saying bye at the door. I only work two nights a week and it just breaks my heart that he's having a hard time with me leaving.

Quoting nicole2884:

No its important that you say goodbye reassure him your coming back an eventually he well catch on

Tatertot912
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww :-( its pretty much the two of us 6 days a week, and dh said burning worked last night. I'll suggest showing him the pictures on the wall. Ty!

Quoting SAMI_JO:

My son was that way up until he was about 8yrs. It was always just the two of us, and when I would leave for work he stayed with my mom and dad, but would scream, hit and scratch. What helped for us was I took a picture of me and printed it on the iron on transfer paper, and put it on a premie onsie, and put it on his favorite stuffed animal. And on the picture I wrote in caption, "Mommy will always come back for you!" My mom and dad would show him the picture when he would start crying, and of course he had to watch his favorite video.

Tatertot912
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Nothing not burning lol. I could maybe make a video too :-) good ideas, ty!

Quoting Tatertot912:

Aww :-( its pretty much the two of us 6 days a week, and dh said burning worked last night. I'll suggest showing him the pictures on the wall. Ty!

Quoting SAMI_JO:

SAMI_JO
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM

What is burning?

Quoting Tatertot912:

Quoting SAMI_JO:

nicole2884
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:55 AM
I would say try saying goodbye inside see if it helps
But saying goodbye an reassuring him your coming back is. Best

Without saying goodbye it gives the impression that mommy has disappeared in a way and who knows if she is coming back

Eventually he well grasp the concept that mommy always comes back

Quoting Tatertot912:

I was just wondering if walking me to the car maybe was making it worse for him because he knows I'm leaving instead of saying bye at the door. I only work two nights a week and it just breaks my heart that he's having a hard time with me leaving.

Quoting nicole2884:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I've always heard walking away without saying good bye is the worst thing you can do because they don't get the reassurance you are coming back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN