Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Having my 1st girl (possible TMI questions)

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 178 Replies

its a girlSO I'm having my first girl. I'm very nervous. I have two boys already. Almost everyone I talk to tells me "Oh boys are so much easier!" or "You should have had a girl first!" (Like I can control the sex of my babies.) 

Anyways I am looking for some advice about having girls. I'm a tomboy, always have been and was raised with 13 other kids. (not all siblings) But still, very tomboy and rough n tough type. I think that's why my boys were so easy for me, thus far anyways. 

So what should I know about having a girl? I know to wipe her front to back (obviously) but if she gets a rash, do I have to keep cream or powder away from the clitoris to prevent infection? Or does it not matter. Also when I'm cleaning her, do I have to clean the inside of her "lips"? Do I do that during bath time? Or are babies not supposed to be cleaned there like that? 

I want to have her ears pierced too, but when's a good age for that? I may have more questions later that I'll ask you ladies. TIA!

EDIT: Thank you ladies for all the feed back! And for making this a featured post :) 

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I plan on enlisting into the army as soon as possible to serve my country and see some action. I have a great boy friend who loves my kids as much as I love them! If you are interested in belly dance or sword fighting but don't know where to start, go a head and ask me!

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenGray
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM

BUMP!

GwenGray
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM

BUMP!

GwenGray
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM

any help ladies??

Nee86
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
4 moms liked this
If you have a really bad diaper then yes, clean EVERYTHING. Nothing worse then baby girl with some kind of infection because she wasn't cleaned all the way. I only ever had to put diaper rash cream on my DD bottom and legs.
As far as the ear piercing, I have heard that you should wait until some vaccinations are on board but I'm not sure. I'm waiting until my DD can take care of the piercing herself.
Other then that, just relax and breath. It'll come to you. :)
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
5 moms liked this

It sounds like you're stressing it too much and overthinking.. Girls are easy too.. When I clean my girl I just wipe over, I don't dig all around or anything.. She hasn't gotten any rashes or anything.. I would suggest checking when she poops though and make sure you get in the creases cause poop can hide up there.. I'm about to have my first boy and I've been a little nervous about the differences in boys and girls, but I think once they get here we will see it will be as natural as it was with our other kids.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
4 moms liked this

I agree with the ear piercing.. I'm waiting for my daughter to ask for it herself..

Quoting Nee86:

If you have a really bad diaper then yes, clean EVERYTHING. Nothing worse then baby girl with some kind of infection because she wasn't cleaned all the way. I only ever had to put diaper rash cream on my DD bottom and legs.
As far as the ear piercing, I have heard that you should wait until some vaccinations are on board but I'm not sure. I'm waiting until my DD can take care of the piercing herself.

GwenGray
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Quoting Nee86:

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I plan on enlisting into the army as soon as possible to serve my country and see some action. I have a great boy friend who loves my kids as much as I love them! If you are interested in belly dance or sword fighting but don't know where to start, go a head and ask me!

GwenGray
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM

thanks! This does make me feel better :)

Quoting victoriaherring:

It sounds like you're stressing it too much and overthinking.. Girls are easy too.. When I clean my girl I just wipe over, I don't dig all around or anything.. She hasn't gotten any rashes or anything.. I would suggest checking when she poops though and make sure you get in the creases cause poop can hide up there.. I'm about to have my first boy and I've been a little nervous about the differences in boys and girls, but I think once they get here we will see it will be as natural as it was with our other kids.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes you clean everything. For the first few months I was popping her bottom half in the sink and pouring water on her every time she pooped a lot to avoid wiping too much and irritating her. She was my first. You also want to rinse when there's powder or cream caked in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I have 3 girls and one boy. :-)

I have never worried about their clitoris when applying cream. I never really thought about it. They were fine, so I would guess not.

You can wipe just inside the lips of the vagina. It really happens automaticall when you are wiping, just like when you wipe yourself.

I got all of my girls' ears pierced before they were a year old. You want her to be young enough so that she doesn't pull on them. If she bothers them too much, she could pull them loose and get them in her mouth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)