Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Tooth Extraction and Breastfeeding

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

can anyone help I'm getting a tooth extraction today my baby is only breastfed she won't take anything would the extraction affect my milk at all help please I'm in pain but really worried about her milk???

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Not a problem. They will use local and you will be fine to nurse as soon as they are done. most antibiotics and pain meds are perfectly safe, just let them know you're nursing so they can prescribe something bf friendly. Take pro biotics, too.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Not a problem. They will use local and you will be fine to nurse as soon as they are done. most antibiotics and pain meds are perfectly safe, just let them know you're nursing so they can prescribe something bf friendly. Take pro biotics, too.

Good advice and I agree

preacherskid
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I had two teeth removed while breastfeeding.  Get probiotics (I actually got kefir- high in probiotics and you will need liquid nutrition for a bit until your mouth heals), stay hydrated, and have a backup caregiver in case the pain meds make you really tired.  I didn't accept the prescription meds because I can't handle them well, but I was still pretty wiped out.  I spent about three days laying on the couch sleeping and eating jello and ice cream and drinking kefir smoothies.  The dentist will use a local anesthetic that wears off in a few hours, it won't enter your blood stream or milk at all.

Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I had a tooth extracted when my dd was about 2 months old & ebf. The novicaine is safe & so are most pain relievers. Just stay away from aspirin. You can take up to 800 mgs of ibuprofen (Advil) & Tylenol. Nursing mom's also take percocet & Tylenol with Codine after c-sections. You can check with Lactmed.com for all medications.

noonelikeme564
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

This.....I know from experience! I had both of my wisdom teeth extracted during this time! OUCH!!!

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

expecting boyBaby Reese due OCT 15th!!!!!

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM

her milk will be fine, if you are fine enough to hold her you can nurse her, advil and lortab are safe to use while nursing as is the penacillin they'll likely prescribe.

SaraBethKY
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM

If you want to do some reading for yourself check kellymom.com there are tons of resources to back up what all these ladies are telling you :) 

carriemealy35
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Yes, just tell them you are breastfeeding and they will give you sometihng that is ok for you to take. The live by rule for things like vicoden and such is that if you feel the effects then so will the baby. Same goes with alcohol.

lilsirsmomma
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I was on Tylenol 3's for a month postpartum to help control preeclampsia headaches. Baby and I both gota little sleepy, but both peds Dr and my obgyn were fine with it considering the alternitive--let headache pain get out of control, bp goes up, I seize or have a stroke.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN