Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Mom with a newborn and a 3 year old! Advice!

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 6 Replies
How do you handle it? Alone? This terrifies me more so than giving birth to her! (Due date is Monday).

My daughter has always been the only baby around, she does really well with kids though! And will share like she has 38950 siblings. She's just a bit rough as most kids and worries me a bit. She's a well behaved child, and she knows that there is a baby on the way and she's going to be a big sister.

She tells everyone she's going to kiss her, hug her, feed her the bottle and sing to her! I'm just beyond stressed being a single parent of soon to be two, and only 22!

Any advice? How to fully involve her? Your expriences? Please help or share some wisdom haha.
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

First of all congrats!  My oldest was 2 when she became a big sister and she did great. I gave her little tasks like grabbing diapers and wipes and it made her proud. I kept telling her being a big sister is an important job so she saw it as something special and not time being taken away from her. I made time for both children, I would nurse and cuddle both at the same time. I had a basket of special toys I only pulled down when I was busy with baby so she didn't feel left out. That's the best advice I can give, I've never done it on my own but I know you can do it.

noonelikeme564
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Congrats on your new baby momma! I was a momma of 2 at 20! I was still in school and had a job at the same time. It can be done, believe me! They are 9 and 11 now. It was tough but when a mommy has to do it by herself no matter what, that instinct will kick in and then she will forget that there were even worries to begin with! It will be tough and stressful at times, nothing is perfect...but you will make it through! The love you will have for your children will guide your way, and through this journey you will learn to become the best mommy you can ever be for your babies!

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM
My son just turned 3 when i had my baby. He is rough with everything EXCEPT "his" baby. Just let her help and not make her feel like shes been replaced. I have seen my SIL do this with each new baby and those kids are horrible to the baby that replaced them. I know u wont intentionally make her feel that way, im not saying you will. But sometimes a wrong word can make them feel replaced even when that is not your intentions. Let her sit on the couch holding the new baby. Let her bring u diapers or help pick out clothes
Autumn355
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

my oldest was basically 3 when his brother was born. I found that it was actually not a headache because ds1 was potty trained and could do alot of stuff on his own and entertain himself if need be. He adjusted really well to his brother taking mommys time for the most part. Sometimes he would act like a baby and i would play along with him for a little while then i would suggest a "big boy" activity. during the first few weeks ds1 would sit in the chair or on the couch with me when i breastfed and we would watch tv together. He was never rough with his brother but he didnt understand that he could pick him up, lol. The second one, usually, arent as needy as the first ones, (or i should say mama isnt as neurotic with the 2nd as the first, haha) and they will hang out it in like a swing or something more patiently. you will be fine, it will all fall into place for you :)

KenzieQsMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I have a 3yo and a 2.5 week old. I was freaked. But its actually not as hard as I imagined. My oldest, dd, gets me a diaper when I need it and she loves to sit with me while I nurse. She loves giving her brother hugs and kisses. We had her give her brother a gift at the hospital and he gave her one too. Relax and enjoy your babies!!
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Breastfeed, get a good carrier and you'll be fine.   My kids are 3 years apart each, and each baby was easier than the last because they just slid into our routine.   Having a newborn is much easier than a 12 mo old!  haha. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)