Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

PLEASE help...choking infant??

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am cross posting this here and the breastfeeding group for thoughts ideas etc. My son is 2 wks old today. He is an awesome nurser. Since day one he has had episodes were he acts like he is choking. I know from my other kiddos it happens sometimes. But with this little man it seems to be worse and happen much more often. And it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. He did it a couple times prior to my milk coming in. And then he did it once my milk came in (while nurse which I assume is from an overactive let down) but he also chokes if he is sucking on a binky, or if he yawns, or even just laying down and sleeping. Tonight he has choked about a dozen times in 2 hrs. A few while nursing, most while sleeping, and a couple while yawning. He choked a couple times in his carseat on our outing today, and twice when I was carrying him in our ringsling. I dont understand why he is choking so much? And I dont know if it can be a normal NB thing and nothing to worry about or if it could be concerning? Its to the point I KNOW he will be sleeping in my arms all night so that I can hear and feel him when he starts to choke! When he choked in his carseat he stopped before I got the car pulled over to get him out and help him. But otherwise when he has done it he has kept choking until I snatched him up, turned him over, and patted his back. Its very scary. Occasionally he will throw up when this happens. But he isn't much of a spitter so it doesn't happen often. He has a 2 wk check up tomorrow with the pedi and my midwife, so I plan to ask both of them for advice. But does anyone have a clue what this could be? And could it be life threatning. He is doing it so much tonight I am tempted to take him to the ER. But on the other hand he is fine other then when he chokes so I am thinking it would be stupid to take him. Please I need some reassurance ladies? Any thoughts?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Michelle701
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Yikes here's a bump
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

My first thought was reflux.. I'm really clueless about it though because I've never had this issue.

MMerrill
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Maybe reflux?

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Jenalex04
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM
My son had a lot of fluid in his lungs when he was born and he would choke a lot when it was coming out. I made sure that he was on his side sleeping and Everytime he did it I remember freaking out and getting the nose sucker thing to get the fluid out of his mouth. I can't remember how long that lasted. Definitely no more than 2 weeks. I want to say about a week. Could it be that? If it is they told me that it was normal and he would stop once all the fluid was out. You should ask your doctor. Poor baby:-(
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Reflux maybe? Poor baby : ( I hope you figure it out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)