Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you put your baby in his/her own room?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 29 Replies

Right now, my 6 month old DD sleeps in the room with SO and I. Well, we may be moving to a 1 bedroom apartment for a year or two to save some money so she won't have her own room for a while. My mom thinks this is a problem, because she will get too dependent on me and SO being there at night. What do you guys think? I know its important for her to be independent but will a year, maybe 2 really be that detrimental?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
staciaw
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha, my son is 3.5 and sleeps In our bed 97% of the time. Dd is 10 weeks and also sleeps in our room. Our room is pretty small. We have 2 bedrooms but my sons room is hust for looks I guess. ;)

coffeemom37043
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Okay so its not just me that doesn't see a problem with it! lol Where we are moving is a bit of a drive for my mom so I think she is just finding excuses for us to not move!

Quoting staciaw:

Haha, my son is 3.5 and sleeps In our bed 97% of the time. Dd is 10 weeks and also sleeps in our room. Our room is pretty small. We have 2 bedrooms but my sons room is hust for looks I guess. ;)

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

no. my son slept in same room as us till he was 5 years old because we had same problem. we didn't move to a 2 bedroom till then. he did just fine. he had no problems moving to his own room when we moved. our daughter is 11 months old and she still in bedroom with us as well for same reason. we are in 2 bedroom apt and our son has the other room. they can't share a room. so she is room with us. we won't be moving to a 3 bedroom for another 2 years or so. so she will be staying with us till she about 3 years old at least.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM
He's 9 months and sleeps in his pack and play in our room 1/4 of the night and in our bed the rest. We were talking about moving his crib down from his room into ours the other night, so he won't be in his room for a while. It's upstairs and ours is downstairs and he still wakes 3xs a night to nurse
ProudMeof2
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

My son will be 4 in Feb. and he sleeps in his toddler bed in our room. My daughter who is 9 months sleeps in bed with us but she has a pack and play in our room also. We have a 3 bedroom house but we don't care. My son's room is a playroom and my daughter's room is more like a storage room right now. Hahaha... My son is super independent so you don't have to worry about that. I love bed time cuz that is when I get his full attention.

amanda_mom89
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM

She slept in her own crib in her own room the day we came home from the hospital and on. 

I personally couldn't handle a one bedroom apartment for 2 years with my child and DH but there's nothing wrong with it. Not at all IMO.

alshink
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM

My son went into his own room at 2 months.

JadeTigr7
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

There is no need for a YOUNG child to be independent.  They will eventually become that way on their own.

My kids sleep in our bed full time until at least 4-6 months old.  Then sleep in both a pack n play in our room or in our bed until they are not waking to eat anymore and can settle themselves back to sleep without nursing.  Then they sleep in our room in the pack n play until they aren't really waking at all, then we slowly transition them into their own room (well at this point a room with siblings).  That's usually somewhere between 12-18 months old.

Then they all know they are welcome back into our room and bed (as long as there's not a tiny baby) if they need it.

So no, I don't think it'll be a problem.   

Raeann11
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

My oldest was 6 months and from time to time she still comes into our room. When she is sick, bad dreams, storms and she gets one night a week to sleep in there. She is know 9 years old.

My second we started around 8 months and around 3 she as in her room more then ours. She also will sleep in our room when sick, bad dreams, storms and gets one night a week in our room.

My thrid we started around 12 months and by 15 months she was in there more then ours. She is the say way as her sisters know too.

You need to do what is best for you guys.

la_bella_vita
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM
9 months
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)