Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I have a picky eater and I dont know what to do ! PLEASE HELP - ANXIOUS MOM

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter just turned 1 year old on October 5th but I would say when she was about 10 months that when this problem started. She barely wants to eat anything. She loves grahman crackers, cottage cheese, yogurt and ravoili with meat balls and cooked chicken but half the time I dont know if she is eating enough. Breakfast is sometimes a struggle. I give her baby cereal and strawberry yogurt. She will eat most of it than ill give her a 6 ounce bottle and she doesnt want to drink all of it . Lunch is a power struggle . When I noticed  she was becoming picky with baby food I figured maybe she wants to self feed so I prepared some meals and she ate "some" of it . Im just nervous she isnt get enough nutrients. I dont want feeding time to be a fight. Please any advice will help!!! She likes sweet potatos , and carrots but even that can be a fight. I dont know whats going on! and I know if I have anxiety during feeding she will feel that too. So Ive been trying to make it fun but its not working and I really worried. I know if I talk to my dr she is going to tell me to try new approaches and Im going to but I just need a direction or examples and how do I know if she is eating enough ?

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2010twingirls
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I feel like my kids don't eat enough some days. As long as they aren't losing weight, I wouldn't be too concerned. My girls are three now and other than sometimes needing more iron, they are ok. They have always been picky and difficult to feed. Right now they must be going through a growth spurt because they are eating really well.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I stopped giving my son a bottle and he started eating more. I only give him water in his bottle now at night. He was the same way he refused to eat. You also have to remember though their stomach is only about the size of their tiny fist. So little to you could be a lot to them.
Dippydoomomof2
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Step one, try to relax. If she is hungry she will eat. Have you considered any of those pediasure drinks? I gave them to my dd when she was about a year and a half and going through a picky phase. It doesn't Sound to me like she is eating junk so I think she will be fine. Good luck momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I would stop the baby food. My kids eat four to five times a day, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and then dinner. Dd doesn't have a morning snack when she's in school, but that's the routine that started developing when she hit one. My kids like normal breakfast foods, like French toast and eggs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof4kids257
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM

If your baby wants to self feed that's a good sign she is getting enough to eat.I had a fun kid's plate for each of my kids one was a bus one was a pumpkin..etc. In each section I would put a few of the food groups throughout the day. I didn't give them all food groups at one time because it overwhelmed their stomachs.By suppertime I gave the last of the food group and they'd have their food group for that day. I usually stuck to their formula with cereal when they got picky and didn't want my meal plan.I still have 2 of my 4 who are very picky with what they eat and I've taught them over the years to substitute something instead to get the same content.You sound like your doing great with her-if it comes to more than 3 meals a day snacks are a great filler.I figured as long as they ate something I didn't have to worry so much.

ProudMommyJones
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM

My is starting her picky stage all she want is cereal if its not cereal then she wont eat it

ProudMommyJones
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM

daughter****

sofianmommy13
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

thanks everyone for the response !

LadyBugMom09
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:29 PM
3 moms liked this
I have a very picky eater. Don't fight with her, that's #1. Kids tend to like a particular food for a few days or week. For example, this week she may love bananas and only want that. I would give bananas and offer something else on the side. She may not eat it, but maybe she will.

Establish meal times around the same time every day. Have a routine, put away toys, wash hands, set table, eat. It'll set queues and prompt her brain that it's meal time.

Don't just feed her, but sit down and eat with her as well. Try to incorporate some of the things on her plate onto yours so she sees you eating them too.

Good luck. As long as she's not losing weight, she's okay.
SacredAppetite
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Only she knows how much she needs to eat. She has that ability if you foster it, instead of pressuring her to eat more than she wants. Regular meals with just one snack probably, with nothing in between will get her in the habit of eating when it's time to eat. Keep the atmosphere at the table pleasant. No fighting over food, no trying to get her to eat anything ever. It's never helpful, but is counterproductive. The more you push, the more she will resist. Let her reach out for what she wants to eat. She'll be more likely to want to eat if she feels free to eat or NOT. Make a happy family at the table, a normal family pattern, instead of following her into abnormality, and eating will follow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)