Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice Needed: my baby is almost 8 months and is only getting...

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

my baby is almost 8 months and is only getting breast milk and home made baby food, he gets nursed before i leave for work, 2 bottles during the day, nursed when i get home and before bed sometimes again at night if he wakes up. i am finding now he is only wanting to take 3-4 oz of his morning bottle and maybe 5-6 oz of afternoon bottle. is he getting enough??

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM
He's getting too much. Breastfed babies should get only 1-1.25 oz for every hour you are gone and only in bottles no more than 3oz.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM
The almost 8 month old baby I watch takes 4-5 oz total in the 7 hours I watch her, usually 2-3 oz at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I agree. 3 ounces is the largest the bottles should be and baby is supposed to get milk before solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM
^ What they said :)
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Ditto!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

^ What they said :)
LalaWiley
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM
4 moms liked this

Feed him according to what he wants. Sometimes when babies go through growth spurts and they eat a lot, we get so used to feeding them that amount that when they drop back to normal amounts we panic. As long as he is having regular eliminations and has energy, he is eating enough. 

irishmama1007
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

All of the above

HaloSue
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Sometime between six months and a year (as solids are introduced and slowly increased) baby’s milk intake may begin to decrease, but breastmilk should provide the majority of baby’s nutrition through the first year. Because of the great variability in the amount of solids that babies take during the second six months, the amount of milk will vary, too. One study found average breastmilk intake to be 30 oz per day (875 ml/day; 93% of total intake) at 7 months and 19 oz (550 ml/day; 50% of total energy intake) at 11-16 months.

Breast first its better to get more milk then solids, then feed solids.

Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Check Kellymom & read about bottle feeding a breastfed baby. It's totally different than formula fed babies. Breastmilk is much more concentrated than formula.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as he is alert, meeting milestones, and going through five diapers in 24 hours, he's fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN