Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Help can't get my baby to sleep through the night n off the bottle

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am struggling with getting my 12 month old to sleep through the night. 

She never has, we put her down between 7-8 with a bottle of regular milk prior....n plenty of nuks incase she throws one or two out.

She wakes up at 11-12am needing to be changed n wants I think a bottle of water, she will drink it, but still is fussy. She will wake about 3-5 more times throughout the night wanting her nuk or more water. She's fine if I bring her in my bed but we really want get to sleep through the night without constant attention.

ny suggestions, feedback is welcomed

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radellia
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally, I'd try getting her down without the bottle or nuks... She's probably relying on those to sooth to sleep and doesn't know any other way to self sooth when she wakes up.
irishmama1007
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I agree. It sounds like she doesn't know how to soothe herself back to sleep. You should consider getting rid of the bottle of water at night.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I am a breastfeeding mom who had children who never took Nuks so it's hard for me to say if it's affecting babies sleep. I agree with the above poster about trying to not lay her down wiht those items. Good luck!

Casper12345
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Ok, she does great at nap time with no bottles.

is it ok to still do a bottle of milk prior to bed? Or should we be done with that? I will try no bottles with water tonight.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Quoting Casper12345:

Ok, she does great at nap time with no bottles.

is it ok to still do a bottle of milk prior to bed? Or should we be done with that? I will try no bottles with water tonight.

I think milk before bed is fine. I'm glad she does great at nap time : ) I would just do the same as you do for naptime : )

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd just bring her to bed with me.  I do what gets everyone the most sleep.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Sounds like a normal 1 year old to me. I'd adjust your expectations.

My daughter is 16 months and has a similar pattern... No milk before bed, but i leave her with a sippy of water, then she'll wake up and want more water and she comes to bed with us. They have needs, but they need our help meeting them.... They'll outgrow it.
Casper12345
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I just keep hearing about all these moms that put their babies down at 730 n the baby sleeps till 6-7am...

if it's normal I am totally fine with working with her, I just want to make sure I am not doing her more harm than good by still giving her a bottle and catering to her every wine throughout the night.

Dardenella
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Putting a bottle in bed with the baby is not a good idea.

Personally I think you are putting her to bed too early if you goal is to get sleep as well.

To answer your other question, I had one that slept through the night from birth. 9 or 9:30 to 6 AM

The other did not sleep through the night until she was three.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly she sounds like a perfectly normal 1 year old.  Sleeping through the night will come with time.  Dd didn't start sleeping all the way through the night until she was 2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)