Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

She doesn't sleep.,

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

My DD is two months old and I swear she never sleeps...well maybe she does a little but not much...during the day she sleeps in 30min stretches and she has to be on me or in her bouncer- being bounced. At night she will do 2 3-4hour stretches. Putting her to sleep at night is hell tho. She thinks 12am at the earliest is bed time. I'm exhausted. I have been back at work for 3 weeks now and start a couple days a week at 7am and it sucks. Ive already completely overslept my alarm once. Anyone have any tips to getting her to bed sooner!? We already do bath at 9 then lotion and bottle/cuddles. Sometimes I will put her in the moby and that puts her to sleep but she's up as soon as I take her out :/. I've also tried co sleeping which sometimes works but I really don't want her to get in the habit of sleeping with me... When she sleeps with me I don't sleep well and DF doesn't feel comfortable with it so he sleeps on the couch. :/ I've also tried a swing and that doesn't work. She's content for about 10min then screams. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortcake82418
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM

sounds normal to me...that's what my son does. and if she's doing 4 hour stretches already at night that's good. my first son only did the half hour sleeps even at night. i was getting literally no sleep the first few months except if i fell asleep while holding him.

katherine.0706
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I cosleep and that's the only advice i can give. He knows when i lay down, he does too. It isn't hard to get them to sleep in their bed when they establish a routine. Right now they are too young to have a set schedule. Hang in there! The first few months are tough!
skymcr
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:43 PM
I went through the same with my first daughter. She wouldn't sleep until we started co sleeping. Everybody slept better after that. A couple of months later, I transitioned her to her crib. You have to find a way to get some sleep. It feels terrible having to go to work when you are sleep deprived. A momma's gotta do what a momma's gotta do.
Due9
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM

This is why I don't want another kid! Newborns are hard work, babies are hard work.....I had the same exact problem w my son. I kept putting him down at 10p even though he didn't sleep until 12a. He cried and I let him for about 10 min before I went back in the room to soothe him. I put him back down again and let him cry for a few minutes and eventually he understood that bedtime is at 9pm. It takes determination and persistence. 

kman88
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM

So basically you'd let him cry but go in his room to comfort him every 10 min!! Sounds brutal...once my dd starts crying she will only calm down if I pick her up...and almost immediately starts crying when I put her down again. 

Quoting Due9:

This is why I don't want another kid! Newborns are hard work, babies are hard work.....I had the same exact problem w my son. I kept putting him down at 10p even though he didn't sleep until 12a. He cried and I let him for about 10 min before I went back in the room to soothe him. I put him back down again and let him cry for a few minutes and eventually he understood that bedtime is at 9pm. It takes determination and persistence. 

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
It is normal for babies to want to sleep close to mom and nurse at night. It is also protection against SIDS. She is not ready to sleep eight hours straight at this age. Co-sleeping is a good thing, and doesn't necessarily mean bed-sharing. A co-sleeper or crib side-carred to the parental bed works.
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Sounds like a normal baby.  At 2 months we were barely getting 2hour stretches in sleep.  I would nurse him and then he would back up 1.5 hours after I finished nursing him.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Jen825
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Please do not do what this poster did to her poor baby. Newborns are supposed to want to be close to their mothers! Don't try to change nature. Take her in your bed and snuggle her to sleep. You'll both get much more sleep.

Quoting Due9:

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM
O.o you should never ever use CIO on a newborn ever. That causes huge attachment issues.

Quoting Due9:

kaybayblee3
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Starting at 6 weeks with both my kids. It was 7:30-8:00 bedtime. No matter what. We did baths and a bottle and down they went. Yeah they woke up but they got into the routine. By 3 months they were sleeping through the night. (And no I never thicken their formula up with cereal)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)