Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

question for all moms who have switched their LO's to a toddler bed!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 21 Replies

we switched DD about 2 months ago. our crib coverts into a toddler/day bed so we just took off the front rail and put in one of those safety rails. the problem is the safety rail is literally the length of the crib so it's basically just like another crib wall, except lower. it took 2 months but DD finally figured out she can climb over it and out which is fine but i'm afriad she'll get hurt. we've considered buying a shorter rail but my mom is saying to just take it off all together. the crib is low so if she does fall out it wouldn't be a long drop but it's hard wood floors. my question is: did you use a safety rail? if not what did you use to keep your LO safe if anything?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I plan on skipping the toddler bed all together. I'm going to just buy a twin size mattress & lay it on the floor. Once my dd get's used to that I'll put it up in a frame. Sorry this probly dosn't answer your question but it's another idea.

steph0420
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe put a pillow or fold up a blanket on the floor so if she falls out it will be padded. (Tho I agree a fall that short won't hurt her, scare her more than anything, but after a couple falls I'm sure it won't faze her anymore. Took my son 3 times and he just got up and got back in bed.

Another thing I've heard but never tried is putting a pool noodle under the sheet as like a bumper. She won't hurt herself climbing over it and it may help her from falling out. maybe worth a shot if u can still find one

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

We just did a bed and I lined up pillows and blankets.

angela.bouchard
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
The side of our toddler bed was pretty low, almost non existent. My son would stay asleep if he rolled out of bed. It's normal for toddlers to want to get out of bed so I'd say it's normal for her to be climbing out.
alandou
by April on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM
You could take it off all together and put extra cushion on the floor like pillows or fold up some blankets. Dd had a convertible crib as well but once I took the rail off, she just wanted to sleep on the floor, which was fine with me. She still had acess to the bed if she wanted it. I made a soft pallet of blankets and pillows. She stayed on the floor for months until she decided to sleep in the bed. By that time, she was too long to sleep in it and she flails around a lot when sleeping, so we bought a full size bed for her. I have her bed against 2 walls and use a foam bumper that goes under the fitted sheet. Its nice because it's not really a hassle to take with us if we go somewhere to stay the night.
kLynch315
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

No we did not use safety rails. My kids ended up sleeping on the floor 75% of the time. Weirdos....LOL

May-mom
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I just put pillows beside his bed.
CorpCityGrl
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

DD had a toddler bed for a short time.  I put a body pillow right next to her bed so if she rolled off, she would be fine.  Like you we had a convertible crib, but the toddler bed lasted such a short time that we ended up putting her in a full sized bed with railings instead.

CelestialSong
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I didn't, but I also didn't use a crib or anything, just a mattress right on the floor. She's rolled off the bed like 3 times in the year and 4 months she's been in her own bed.

Hoevegirl1986
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM

we just put our son into a toddler bed with no sides he's been in it seinc april or may and he does great :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN