Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Friendly Debate: Car Seats

Posted by   + Show Post

At what age do you stop rear facing? Do you go by age or weight or both?

Is there a car seat brand you won't use or trust more then others?

Do you skip the infant carrier all together or do you use it?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (131-139):
VintageWife
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

RF till 4. I use the infant seat the first year so it can just click on the stroller and they can sleep while I shop.

Annie_21
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM
I believe it was when she was two years old I don't understand why they put them backward later. When they still have that chance of flying out from the back and there legs get so squashed in the back. But that just me. My doctor also now 3 and we put her into booster seat because whatever we do she find way to get our car set she got out. And with booster seat she stayed in her seat.
mysticatgal
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM
We have to ff before 2 because ds was too tall even with shopping for the tallest rear face carseat. He hit the weight limit and our state only has 1 as a requirement.
carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I go by the maximums of the seat. DS1 RF until he was 3. He was right close to 35lb (seat max) when we turned him. DS2 will be the same. If he stays big, ill buy another seat to hold a heavier weight RF to get him to at LEAST 2. I'm using a carrier right now for DS2. I wouldn't buy a carrier, but since I had one I'm using it.
MinglingMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

We will rear face until at least 2 years (she's only 11 months right now). 

I definitely prefer my Peg Perego (which is in my car) but our other is a Graco My Ride (which is in DH's car) and we are happy with it as well. I stay away from the Eddie Baurer seats because they are not listed (or were not when we were looking for a seat) as an "approved" seat on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

We liked having the infant carrier when she was sleeping. Plus, since we know we will have another baby (in the next year, we will be able to use it again and not have to buy another seat until he/she needs a convertible.

Twin2Walker
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

We have moved on to a ff car seat. She is 17 months old, but she is too tall for a rf. I prefer graco

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM
My now almost 17 month old is FF but I would definitely RF longer for any other children we choose to have.

I hate Baby Trend infant seats. My son had one and I got it because of the price and the straps always tangled and even though he still fit by weight and height we switched him to a convertible RF at 4 months because his shoulders were too wide and it was making him cramped. I prefer Graco, Britax, and Chicco but am open to others. We have an Evenflo Triumph 65 and I've hated it since we got it when he was 4 months. It's bulky and I'm short so it's hard for me to buckle him in over the high sides in our SUV. I like the infant seats and will get another one with our next baby if we have one.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM
We RF to the limits if the seat. My kiddos are small so that's usually sometime after they turn 4. As the majority of kids do, they outgrow their seats RFing height-wise before they reach the weight limit.

I know all car seats pass the same safety tests. But I refuse to trust Diono as a company. When they were Sunshine Kids and their SuperLATCH failed, they told people to use DUCT TAPE to fix the problem. Duct tape! Hell. No. And instead of issuing a recall and fixing it, they changed their name to Diono. Sigh...I will admit that the Diono Monterey is a great booster seat, but all a booster does is raise a child up so the seatbelt fits properly. If it had to do anything else to protect my child, I wouldn't trust Diono with the job.

We always use infant carriers for at least the first year. My twins were tiny and lasted to 18mos in their Chicco KeyFits.
FTWMOM2
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM

To stop rear facing should not be based on age alone.  Weight/height/and at least over the age of one should be considered.  If your child has exceeded the weight for your particular carseat but not the height you need to forward face them.  Also if your child has surpassed the height or if the top of the ears are above the top of the carseat shell but has not reached the maximum weight, the child should be moved to forward facing.  Each carseat and each brand has different limits so make sure you check and know the limits for the safety of your child.

I personally love Britax carseats.  We chose the Britax Chaperone as an infant carrier with our first child and were blown away with the ease of use and safety features.  When it was time to move to a convertible carseat I did alot of research and once again chose Britax.  This time I went with a Britax Advocate.  Now using that same seat on my second child, I would still chose the same seat.  They have outstanding customer service and are always researching new safety features.  Now having two children I use the Britax Pinnacle and the Advocate and could not be happier.

You do not have to use an infant carrier.  Several convertible carseats on the market are safe and made for children as small as 5lbs, including several of the Britax convertible seats.  I used an infant carrier because I found it easier to move around.  I could keep my children in their seat while running into the grocery store and running other errands.  But it is a personal preference.

I am a proud member of the Britax Safety Squad Team - thoughts and opinions expressed are of my own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)