Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desperately need help with 10 month old and sleeping!

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 13 Replies
My daughter is 10, almost 11 months old. From day one, she wouldn't sleep in her crib or bassinet. She was waking up every hour, sometimes even every 40 minutes. This continued for the first couple months. Finally, I was so exhausted that I started putting her in bed with us because I could lay down and give her a bottle and because she would sleep two or three hours instead of 45 freaking minutes.
At nearly 11 months old, it takes us HOURS to get her to sleep. She won't sleep on her own, and even when we lay down with her, it's a struggle even when she's clearly tired. She sleeps very lightly so moving her to her crib is also a nearly impossible task. Even when we do get her to sleep, she wakes up multiple times in the night and refuses to fall back asleep in the crib.
We have tried every single tip the doctor has given us. We've put her in there to play (which never works out because she refuses to play alone for even 5 minutes at a time, ever), we've tried laying her down drowsy and letting her cry for short periods of time then coming in and putting our hand her chest and all of that. It doesn't help. She just cries and cries and instantly becomes hysterical.
We've even tried letting her cry it out, but it doesn't ever stop. I'm convinced she would cry literally the entire night if we didn't intervene. We've stuck with all of this advice for weeks and we haven't ever seen any improvement. If anything, it's worse.
She also, as I stated before, refuses to play alone. She didn't start rolling over until 4-5 months and crawling until 7-9 months because she would never let us put her down. Early on, she would scream even if you sat next to her. Now the only way she plays is if you sit right beside her. I can't get her to play for even five minutes.

What can I do?! I'm not a stay at home mom. I have to get up for work in the morning, and I come home exhausted and can't get even 10 minutes to myself. It's exhausting, and I feel like she's getting too old to be as demanding as she is. It has to stop.
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alshink
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM

do you swaddle? My son used to be like that until we got one of those halo swaddle sleep sacks. he has gotten too big for that so we got him a woombie. my son used to wake up every hour as well until we started swaddling. now, he is 4 and a haf months old and only wakes up once a night.

m0mmyheather
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM
She's a little old to swaddle. She just gets right out of it and stands up.

Quoting alshink:

do you swaddle? My son used to be like that until we got one of those halo swaddle sleep sacks. he has gotten too big for that so we got him a woombie. my son used to wake up every hour as well until we started swaddling. now, he is 4 and a haf months old and only wakes up once a night.

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You have a high needs baby.

www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/fussy-baby/high-need-baby/5-reasons-high-need-infants-sleep-differently-2

alshink
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM

The woombie zips up so unless she can unzip things she won't be able to get out.

Quoting m0mmyheather:

She's a little old to swaddle. She just gets right out of it and stands up.

Quoting alshink:

m0mmyheather
by New Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:06 AM
So what can I do to make her less needy or work on getting her to be as such?

Quoting JadeTigr7:

www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/fussy-baby/high-need-baby/5-reasons-high-need-infants-sleep-differently-2

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Read the article I posted, but realize this is your baby, that's a part of her personality and you can't make her change to suit you. It is exhausting, but as a parent we are there to tend to their needs. She's still a baby, still young and she still needs you, night and day.

It's not forever. They grow up so fast.

Quoting m0mmyheather:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

MusherMaggie
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Drjaygordon.com is a good resource for creating healthy sleeping habits.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I wish I had advice but I've never dealt with a baby not sleeping at that age. I hope you figure something out and I'm sorry you are so exhausted.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Give her the attention she needs. She'll outgrow it in time. She's high need, there's nothing you can do to change her personality, she just needs to mature.

Do you have a wrap, or a ssc? Continue cosleeping, she'll outgrow the need. Really, it's just about doing what works for now.

Quoting m0mmyheather:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

AliceNonsense
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM
This exactly. DS was almost the same way at that age but a bit different. He HAD to be rocked to sleep every nap and every night. It was exhausting, I was rocking for hours a day. Then when he turned 12 months he wouldn't let me rock or hold him. He fought me and I thought something was wrong. He just went to sleep on his own and it's been that way ever since.

Do whatever works for now, she will outgrow it eventually. I thought I was going to be rocking for years.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Give her the attention she needs. She'll outgrow it in time. She's high need, there's nothing you can do to change her personality, she just needs to mature.

Do you have a wrap, or a ssc? Continue cosleeping, she'll outgrow the need. Really, it's just about doing what works for now.

Quoting m0mmyheather:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)