Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Question for moms who don't vaccinate

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 9 Replies
First let me just say this is not a post to start any arguments it's just something that I have been curious about. Ok so I vaccinate both my boys and my oldest is in kindergarten and had to have a form from the doctor showing that he received all vaccinations to start school so I'm just wondering if you all (moms that chose not to vaccinate) home school your children or are there schools that don't require vaccinations? Again this is all just curiosity not in any way meant to stir up any problems. Thanks :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I selective vax and homeschool but I know you can get school exempts for different reasons (like religion) to avoid getting vax. In my state it's MUCH rougher, they make it very hard to get away with not vaxing completely, so I think what state you're in also helps.

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a waiver that I sign and notarize that states we don't vax for religious reasons
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I'm in Canada, and we don't have any vaccination laws. Other than an emergency room visit for stitches, I have never been questioned by anyone on vaccination status.

In the US, all 50 states have some sort of exemption. Philosophical, medical, and religious- which ones you can use depend on your state, and no school receiving government funding can refuse you. So basically, any public school lol.

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I homeschool, but you can get vaccine waivers for school.

http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm
wolfybaby
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

every state has vaccine waiver forms. there are three types of exemptions: medical [offered in all states and must be signed by a doctor], religious [offered in all but two states], and philosophical [offered in over 20 states]. 

depending on the state, the restrictions for the latter two exemptions will vary. for example, some states require religious exemptions to be signed and explained by a religious leader. some states make it the law so that schools may not ask what the religion is, period.

my parents put my brother and i through public school k-12 with a philosophical exemption. all my cousins had either philosophical or religious exemptions. yep.. a whole herd of us went through the public school system completely vaccine-free.. 

expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Thank you all. I had no idea and always wondered how that worked lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roisin07
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Many people don't know this and the schools blatantly lie and say that they have to be vaccinated or they can't start school. Most don't question it sadly.
Quoting expectantmom81:

Thank you all. I had no idea and always wondered how that worked lol.
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
This.

Quoting Randi02:

I'm in Canada, and we don't have any vaccination laws. Other than an emergency room visit for stitches, I have never been questioned by anyone on vaccination status.

In the US, all 50 states have some sort of exemption. Philosophical, medical, and religious- which ones you can use depend on your state, and no school receiving government funding can refuse you. So basically, any public school lol.

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Yep,my daughter is in first grade and we just had to get a notarized exemption form for preschool and then when she started kindergarten.No one ever batted an eyelash about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN