Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do You Do Nightly Diaper Changes

Posted by   + Show Post
How do you other moms work this? I used to change my lo when he woke up in the night right before nursing him. Now he is beginning to sleep for longer stretches and it is much harder to get him back to sleep if I change him before nursing and he is often quite inconsolable during that change and until I finally feed him. I see that diaper commercial, 3am with a regular diaper and the baby is crying, then 3am with the other diaper and baby is sleeping. This is my first, do you really leave the diaper alone if baby isn't bothered by it?
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 4:46 AM
Replies (51-58):
LilliesValley
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Wow that's a lot per feeding! I'm glad you are getting the help and support you need. To often most women would give up. Keep trying. 15 minutes is success imo. Has the lactation consultant suggested offering less ounces when he does get s bottle so he feeds more often? That way you have more latch attempts and hopefully successes. It's such a fine line about giving less bottle feedings bc the best thing is to offer your breast but you have to guard against dehydration too. Personally if you know you'll be at home for at least the nect month I'd try to just get on the boob by weaning off the bottle and offering the breast more often. Every two hours or even one. My four week old was up at three nursed on and off until 4:30, and then was up at 6:30 nursed for a bit, then stopped and wanted awake time tgen about 7:30 nursed again and then played with dd1 and daddy. They tired her out and she popped back on the boob for five minutes at 8:30 and is currently asleep. So it may not make things easier bc your boobs may be more in demand but it may get him off the bottle. Also dd will often suck like she would for a passy but not swallow. Literally sometimes for hours some days but thats when she's prepping my boobs for a growth spurt.

Just offering suggestions so please don't misunderstand. I applaud you for doing what you are and keeping it up. You go mama!

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

I offer breast first. Sometimes he will latch on, sometimes he won't, and then we go to bottle. He would prob eat more frequent if it was just breast. Maybe? Lol. I'm not sure. He eats 3.5oz per feeding regularly. We are seeing an IBCLC as well as lactation counselor. They keep telling me to just keep trying. Hell get it. And he is. I got him on for 15 min the other day!! Yay! I will know how his gain is in friday. Birth he was 11lb. Hospital discharge he was 10.9.

Quoting LilliesValley:

I'm just surprised bc 3-4 hours seems like a long time at that age. My lo is 4.5 weeks and we mainly do every two hours during the day (sometimes less) and just this week she started making two three hour stretches at night.

How much are you feeding him with the bottle? Are you offering breast first? Seeing a lact consultant? Sorry to be up in your business but I had to ep my first and that is a lot of work compared to bf my second. How's his gain?

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

I do breast when his lazy butt will latch on (still working on that, I will not give up, we will do this, darn kid, lol) and he's bottlefed breastmilk the rest of the time :)

Quoting LilliesValley:

Are you bf?

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

My son is 12 days old. He eats every 3-4 hours. I change him everytime he eats. Day and night. During the day, obviously, we change between feeds as well if he needs it. At night, of course, were asleep so wouldnr notice if he needed it sooner. Lol.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I definately appreciate the suggestions. The LC hasn't said anything about trying sooner. Like, 2hr or so. I dunno how that would fly with my lil man, lol. He gets irate when I stop him to burp him. He wants it all. Lol. I will give it a shot and see. Thank you!

Quoting LilliesValley:

Wow that's a lot per feeding! I'm glad you are getting the help and support you need. To often most women would give up. Keep trying. 15 minutes is success imo. Has the lactation consultant suggested offering less ounces when he does get s bottle so he feeds more often? That way you have more latch attempts and hopefully successes. It's such a fine line about giving less bottle feedings bc the best thing is to offer your breast but you have to guard against dehydration too. Personally if you know you'll be at home for at least the nect month I'd try to just get on the boob by weaning off the bottle and offering the breast more often. Every two hours or even one. My four week old was up at three nursed on and off until 4:30, and then was up at 6:30 nursed for a bit, then stopped and wanted awake time tgen about 7:30 nursed again and then played with dd1 and daddy. They tired her out and she popped back on the boob for five minutes at 8:30 and is currently asleep. So it may not make things easier bc your boobs may be more in demand but it may get him off the bottle. Also dd will often suck like she would for a passy but not swallow. Literally sometimes for hours some days but thats when she's prepping my boobs for a growth spurt.

Just offering suggestions so please don't misunderstand. I applaud you for doing what you are and keeping it up. You go mama!

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

I offer breast first. Sometimes he will latch on, sometimes he won't, and then we go to bottle. He would prob eat more frequent if it was just breast. Maybe? Lol. I'm not sure. He eats 3.5oz per feeding regularly. We are seeing an IBCLC as well as lactation counselor. They keep telling me to just keep trying. Hell get it. And he is. I got him on for 15 min the other day!! Yay! I will know how his gain is in friday. Birth he was 11lb. Hospital discharge he was 10.9.

Quoting LilliesValley:

I'm just surprised bc 3-4 hours seems like a long time at that age. My lo is 4.5 weeks and we mainly do every two hours during the day (sometimes less) and just this week she started making two three hour stretches at night.

How much are you feeding him with the bottle? Are you offering breast first? Seeing a lact consultant? Sorry to be up in your business but I had to ep my first and that is a lot of work compared to bf my second. How's his gain?

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

I do breast when his lazy butt will latch on (still working on that, I will not give up, we will do this, darn kid, lol) and he's bottlefed breastmilk the rest of the time :)

Quoting LilliesValley:

Are you bf?

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

My son is 12 days old. He eats every 3-4 hours. I change him everytime he eats. Day and night. During the day, obviously, we change between feeds as well if he needs it. At night, of course, were asleep so wouldnr notice if he needed it sooner. Lol.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

It depends on your baby. If he normally soaks through the diaper at night, then you have to change him. If he can get through the night without soaking, you can wait until morning. For the first few months, I had to change DD at least once a night and then nurse her down. After that, she didn't pee as badly and could go all night.

LilliesValley
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM
No problem. The lactation consultant may have better suggestions, I just thought at that age the most their tummies would hold is less than 2oz. He may be fussing from being full. Have you looked up signs of over fedding on kellymom.com? It's a great bf resource. Also the breastfeeding group (not breast-feeding one) has been really helpful on here and helped when dd2 was dehydrated at 4 days and her ped wad pushing formula. Those ladies and a local lactation consultant kept her ofc formula and got her hydrated again. We only had to supplement with three bottles of bm but I would bf first and then dh would give her whatever I had pumped after the previous bf session. That group is amazing. There are several lactation consultants in it. Keep it up.

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

I definately appreciate the suggestions. The LC hasn't said anything about trying sooner. Like, 2hr or so. I dunno how that would fly with my lil man, lol. He gets irate when I stop him to burp him. He wants it all. Lol. I will give it a shot and see. Thank you!

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Are you bf?

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Yeah, I have popped over to that group. They are helpful. They suggested twilight feeds and the breast crawl which are what finally got him to latch at all! Lol. As far as it being too much, he doesn't spit up, isn't fussy, stops when he's full, so I dunno. And the chart the LC showed me and is feom kellymom shows he's right on track :) I did the calculator here
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/ and it coincides with what he eats :) And thegraph at the bottom matches as well. I hope he gets nursing soon so I dont have to worry anymore.

Quoting LilliesValley:

No problem. The lactation consultant may have better suggestions, I just thought at that age the most their tummies would hold is less than 2oz. He may be fussing from being full. Have you looked up signs of over fedding on kellymom.com? It's a great bf resource. Also the breastfeeding group (not breast-feeding one) has been really helpful on here and helped when dd2 was dehydrated at 4 days and her ped wad pushing formula. Those ladies and a local lactation consultant kept her ofc formula and got her hydrated again. We only had to supplement with three bottles of bm but I would bf first and then dh would give her whatever I had pumped after the previous bf session. That group is amazing. There are several lactation consultants in it. Keep it up.

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Are you bf?

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

LilliesValley
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Good I'm glad to hear that. I hope he goes to it more and more. Pumping and having to feed is exhausting. I did it with my first and it is double the work. I really do give you a high five for keeping at it.

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Yeah, I have popped over to that group. They are helpful. They suggested twilight feeds and the breast crawl which are what finally got him to latch at all! Lol. As far as it being too much, he doesn't spit up, isn't fussy, stops when he's full, so I dunno. And the chart the LC showed me and is feom kellymom shows he's right on track :) I did the calculator here

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/ and it coincides with what he eats :) And thegraph at the bottom matches as well. I hope he gets nursing soon so I dont have to worry anymore.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Are you bf?

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
It is tiring. I'm just thankful I make a ton of milk and can go 4hr without pumping and still make more than enough to feed him. Lol. Every 2hr would suck! I EP for 8 weeks with my first and then my period came, supply dropped and I gave up. This time, I will not give up. We WILL be nursing.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Good I'm glad to hear that. I hope he goes to it more and more. Pumping and having to feed is exhausting. I did it with my first and it is double the work. I really do give you a high five for keeping at it.

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Are you bf?

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I have never woken my son to change him unless he pooped or soaked through his diaper. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)