Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Cereal for the first time??

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
  • 34 Replies

My LO is a little over 6 months and he has been exclusively bf. We are going to introduce cereal this weekend and then solids after that. I'm wondering how you ladies gave your little ones  cereal for the first time. Does it have to be in a bottle or can I mix it in a bowl and try it that way? Does it matter? My husband wants to use a bottle but I want to try the spoon/bowl. lol... Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ptitchou
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM
It can be a choking hazard in a bottle. I know people do it. If you're set on giving cereal, give it with a spoon.

I, personally, skip cereal as it's extremely difficult for baby to digest and pretty nutritionally void. Why not feed vegetables and fruit?
JWibb
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM

We will be giving him veggies and fruit next week. I'm going to make my own. I was just given one of the baby bullets. :-) My pedi told us to do the cereal as well that's why we are. They didn't seem to like the fact that we didn't start him on cereal a couple months ago. But there hasn't been a need because he's doing just fine with bf.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

They tell you not to do it in the bottle. It's a choking hazard. You don't have to do cereal but if you do with a spoon would be best. Good luck!

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM
With a spoon. Cereal though is processed food. We don't give it. We just give food we are eating. We don't even give baby food.
LilliesValley
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
No need for cereal. It has no nutritional value. Start with a veggie or fruit. Check out kellymom.com and make sure your baby is ready for solids. Seriously not something to rush.
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I skipped the cerials for a few reasons. The cerials have no nutritional value & are just fillers, they can cause anemia in breastfed babies & babies under a year old can't digest grains. You would be better off just starting purees if you want. If you are going to feed the cerials mix it in a bowl & spoon feed. Putting it in a bottle can be a choking hazard.

stacy2607
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Spoon and bowl, never bottle.
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Check out Wholesomebabyfood.com for info on feeding solids & making baby food. I personally don't talk to my pedi about nutrition & breastfeeding because they don't seem to know much about either.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I never gave my babies cereal or purees.

We started them on chunks of food they could pick up and feed themselves, and that was between 7-10 months :)

WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We used a spoon and bowl. I started with oatmeal. I did 1/2 tablespoon in the evening to start out with. Within a couple of weeks she worked her way up to 1 tablespoon. I don't give her anymore than that. Sometimes I do add fruit. 

ETA: You do what's best for your baby. Cereal or no cereal. You will get a lot comments saying don't feed your child cereal and your pedi doesn't know anything about nutrition.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)