Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby powder?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 23 Replies

Do people still use it? And why do they use it?

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM
To help with moisture. The ped actually recommended talcum powder instead of cornstarch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PooBearr
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Um, I do. Is that wrong? Baby tends to get smelly FAST as she has LOTS of lil' jelly rolls, so I cake her in thick layers of Johnson's baby lotion all over, then put baby powder in the creases (neck especially since drool and sweat tend to create rash, under arms, back of legs, etc.) and spread a tiny bit over all of her so that she isn't all sticky and stuff from the lotion. I heard people use to use it on their butts to make their skin soft and help keep them dry, but I just stick with Vasaline or Destiin down there. :)

CafeMom Tickers
Dshaffer11
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Okay.. I wasn't sure. For some reason I thought it was recommended not to use it anymore. I started using it today because she started to rolls on her thighs and in between them the skin looks really dry. Should I use something else for that? Or am I using the powder correctly?

wolfybaby
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM
3 moms liked this

cornstarch only. and apply the powder to your hand, *then* put it on baby. 

pouring it out directly on baby causes it to make a little cloud, and baby can breathe that in. that is why baby powder is not recommended anymore; it can cause breathing problems if used negligently. 

sweetsavannah10
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Quoting Dshaffer11:

Okay.. I wasn't sure. For some reason I thought it was recommended not to use it anymore. I started using it today because she started to rolls on her thighs and in between them the skin looks really dry. Should I use something else for that? Or am I using the powder correctly?

They recommend you don't use it because it can get into the baby's lungs and be harmful. But if you use it safely, aka don't put it on the babys face (common sense), then it will be fine.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Dshaffer11
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Thank you so much! I'm happy I know that now! 

Quoting wolfybaby:

cornstarch only. and apply the powder to your hand, *then* put it on baby. 

pouring it out directly on baby causes it to make a little cloud, and baby can breathe that in. that is why baby powder is not recommended anymore; it can cause breathing problems if used negligently. 

kamaira
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I use the johnson and johnson lavendar and chamomile corn starch powder  . . . I too pour in my hand and then on to her. I dont usually put it in her diaper much, (no real reason) but when I do I put in on her bottom never her vagina. i put it on her thighs daily, I've noticed shaffing marks on her thighs so i started putting it there (after the skin healed of course) her neck daily if i dont so much druel milk and sweat sits there and she'll smell spoiled. and I put it all over her at night she sweats a lot at night, plus the chamomile and lavendar are very relaxing aromas

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM

No.  

momoftwogirl55
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I don't use it on my girls. I use it on me though..under my breasts.
clairewait
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I use it on myself when I wax my armpits.

But that's it. Haha.

I got a whole bunch of the stuff in baby shower gifts, years ago, and it stays under MY sink most of the time...

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN