Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

almost 5 month old baby girl- feeding solids

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 110 Replies
Hi everyone!! My name is holly, I'm new to cafe mom and just wanted a little advice. I'm 26 years old, and this is my first baby. She is almost 5 months old. I've been feeding her solids for about a month now. But the way I've been doing it is mixing her food with cereal and milk and she takes a bottle right after. I'm just wondering when I should stop the mixing and give her the food plain.
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM
7 moms liked this

For the first year, ALWAYS breastfeed or offer a bottle first.

Solid foods are not recommended before 6 months, but a lot of people rush their babies and start them early. I have no advice, lol. I have 4 babies who were breastfed and didn't start solids until 7-10 months. We never did cereals or baby food.

I just wanted to let you know she should be breastfeeding or getting a bottle BEFORE you offer solids, especially at 4 months old!!

Ninjabubble
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Solids aren't reccomended until atleast 6 months old. Always offer bottle or breast first. Skip cereal all together, doesn't offer any nutrition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Well my kids are now much older than babies-but what I did per recommendation from the dr was cereal first month then soft table food something new once a week from that point on.  I was told that could give bottle first or after depending on how the child wanted.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM
You don't have to mix it at all.
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Yep, what they said. Her nutrition needs to come from the bottle first and foremost since solids have fewer calories and less nutrition than milk.

Here are some signs that baby is ready for solids:

6 months
Ability to sit unassisted
Have pincer grasp
Lost tongue thrust reflex
Able to chew food
pinkfairy0206
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
This is deja vu...there was literally just a post of this...I nursed my 4 kids from birth-yr and my son was the procrastinator,he just stopped a couple months ago. He will be 3 next month. Babies do not need solid food. It messes their bellies up. I did around 8 months introduce homemade baby food.
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Yep.

Quoting Randi02:

Solid foods are not recommended before 6 months, but a lot of people rush their babies and start them early. I have no advice, lol. I have 4 babies who were breastfed and didn't start solids until 7-10 months. We never did cereals or baby food.

I just wanted to let you know she should be breastfeeding or getting a bottle BEFORE you offer solids, especially at 4 months old!!

JaimieSchuss
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM
My pediatrician told me to start feeding my son cereal at 4months. He's bigger than most babies in height and weight. I was told his calorie intake needed to be supported by more than formula. (I got mastitis and could not continue to breast feed) if you give your child a bottle before solids he/she won't eat. Always offer water after to prevent constipation. I was actually told to feed solids in between bottle feelings and treat it like snack time and offer a Sippie cup of water (no more than 2oz to start) after the 'snack'. My son did great with it, was never constipated and LOVED it. He started sleeping better and hitting his mile stones sooner. (The Sippie cup I bought had handles and taught him to hold his own bottle)

Quoting Randi02:

ceckyl
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM
6 moms liked this
Your doctor is absolutely wrong, and not even following his own organization.

Quoting JaimieSchuss:

My pediatrician told me to start feeding my son cereal at 4months. He's bigger than most babies in height and weight. I was told his calorie intake needed to be supported by more than formula. (I got mastitis and could not continue to breast feed) if you give your child a bottle before solids he/she won't eat. Always offer water after to prevent constipation. I was actually told to feed solids in between bottle feelings and treat it like snack time and offer a Sippie cup of water (no more than 2oz to start) after the 'snack'. My son did great with it, was never constipated and LOVED it. He started sleeping better and hitting his mile stones sooner. (The Sippie cup I bought had handles and taught him to hold his own bottle)

Quoting Randi02:

JaimieSchuss
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM
I wanted to clarify. They say bottle first so the baby doesn't refuse it after solids and get constipated or dehydrated. Also cereal is suggested first because its the easiest for the babies tummies to adjust to out of other solid baby foods. Their little tummies are easily upset.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)