Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

almost 5 month old baby girl- feeding solids

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi everyone!! My name is holly, I'm new to cafe mom and just wanted a little advice. I'm 26 years old, and this is my first baby. She is almost 5 months old. I've been feeding her solids for about a month now. But the way I've been doing it is mixing her food with cereal and milk and she takes a bottle right after. I'm just wondering when I should stop the mixing and give her the food plain.
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Replies (101-110):
mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Wait untik 6 months, can sit up unassisted, has pincer grasp and loat tongue thrust reflex before introducing solids. My daughter kept throwiing up and bring very fussy when i even offered at 5 months 2 weeks so i immediately stopped. She's 9 months old and rarely gets fokd because she doesn't have that much interest. Babies cannot process grains before 1. I gave my other 2 kids foods before early. I didn't see difference then but now as they Get olderi I do. They both have tummy problem.
hcfdkn13
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for this. I found some food at the grocery store that's got the fruit and oatmeal already mixed so I started feeding her that for breakfast. I also got the sweet potatoes and corn mixed and a few other veggies that are mixed. She doesn't quite like that too much but we are working on it. Her doctor told me at her 4 month checkup that I could start feeding solids as long as she was still getting the right amount of milk everyday. So I haven't replied to a lot of the debates on here Bc I know I'm doing what's right for my child. Just wasn't sure when and how I could start feeding straight baby food without mixing cereal with it.

Quoting rwebb11:

Alrighty then. Welcome to cafe mom. I'm Rebekah. My son is 14 months. He started on solids between 4-5 months. He never really ate cereal. He started on puréed fruits and veggies from the start. I'm saying this to say you never have to mix it. Anytime I used the cereal it gave my son major constipation and I would have to feed him pears, prunes, and peaches until he would poop. By the time he was about 8 or 9 month he was eating small pieces of food instead of purées. I always gave him his "meals" about an hour after his bottle. Since they are still supposed to get most of their nutrients from the formula, but I didn't want his tummy to get too full. I figured this would give his formula a little time to digest a little bit first. I'm sorry for the debates. This is a hot topic that always causes an uproar.

MMerrill
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

These ladies aren't trying to be rude or call you out mama, they are just trying to offer accurate advice!  I'd rather give someone accurate advice rather than "what worked for mine" or innaccurate advice.

That said, every baby is different and what works for some doesn't work for others but you should at least know the right information and the wrong information!  That's all they were trying to do!  :O)

expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM
My advice is the same to offer the bottle before the food and honestly that's a little young to start any baby on baby food unless told otherwise by the doc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaimieSchuss
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Yeah I never miked my sons milk with his food. I did notice though if I heated his Veggies and refrigerated his fruits he ate them better

Quoting hcfdkn13:

Thank you for this. I found some food at the grocery store that's got the fruit and oatmeal already mixed so I started feeding her that for breakfast. I also got the sweet potatoes and corn mixed and a few other veggies that are mixed. She doesn't quite like that too much but we are working on it. Her doctor told me at her 4 month checkup that I could start feeding solids as long as she was still getting the right amount of milk everyday. So I haven't replied to a lot of the debates on here Bc I know I'm doing what's right for my child. Just wasn't sure when and how I could start feeding straight baby food without mixing cereal with it.

Quoting rwebb11:

Alrighty then. Welcome to cafe mom. I'm Rebekah. My son is 14 months. He started on solids between 4-5 months. He never really ate cereal. He started on puréed fruits and veggies from the start. I'm saying this to say you never have to mix it. Anytime I used the cereal it gave my son major constipation and I would have to feed him pears, prunes, and peaches until he would poop. By the time he was about 8 or 9 month he was eating small pieces of food instead of purées. I always gave him his "meals" about an hour after his bottle. Since they are still supposed to get most of their nutrients from the formula, but I didn't want his tummy to get too full. I figured this would give his formula a little time to digest a little bit first. I'm sorry for the debates. This is a hot topic that always causes an uproar.

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Whatever you say DOCTOR. However you as the parent are allowed to start feeding your child cereal or oatmeal at 4 months if that's your decision. And CEREAL is what the OP was asking about.

Quoting IrishIz:

Uh and what?  Cereal IS solid food.  

Lordy...where's the wall to bang my head on?

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

If you want to feed your child cereal feed it to her. That's your right as a parent to your child. You know what's best for her. You will always have to mix the cereal with milk although I have heard some people use water. "Solids" like eating your food, purees or if you make it should wait until baby is at least 6 months old.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM
It doesn't take an MD to know cereal is solid food. Seriously. As a parent you are allowed to lots of stuff...doesn't mean it is in the best interest of the child.

Again...need that wall.

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

Whatever you say DOCTOR. However you as the parent are allowed to start feeding your child cereal or oatmeal at 4 months if that's your decision. And CEREAL is what the OP was asking about.

Quoting IrishIz:

Uh and what?  Cereal IS solid food.  

Lordy...where's the wall to bang my head on?

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

If you want to feed your child cereal feed it to her. That's your right as a parent to your child. You know what's best for her. You will always have to mix the cereal with milk although I have heard some people use water. "Solids" like eating your food, purees or if you make it should wait until baby is at least 6 months old.

sjenkins8208
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM
I started my Ds at four months. I didn't even mix. He ate 2 table spoons of peas and has his sippy of water. He's five and perfect.
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Not a problem. I'm glad I could help. There are just some topics on here that I just try to stay away from because they cause a debate no matter what and I have better things to do than deal with the drama and debate. Love on your baby girl.

Quoting hcfdkn13:

Quoting rwebb11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennaT007
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Now is a good time to stop mixing. Just had this conversation w my doc. My baby is also almost 5 months. We are starting peaches tomorrow. Just make sure to try any new food for 3 days without any other foods to check for any reactions. When was your baby born? Mine was 6-22, just curious.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)