Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Stranger danger.

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
So my 8mo son has a serious case of stranger danger (but only around older men). He absolutely HATES my father in law. So my fil called yesterday, he & his wife want to take ds for a couple hours tomorrow.. A break would be lovely but the child screams frantically when fil even talks to him!
I need some advice on how to help my son realize he's safe, or how to nicely tell fil that my kid effing hates him lol
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Aw poor little guy, lol. Do you guys spend a lot of time around your father in law? If not you may want to spend more time or have him come around more so your son does not look at him as a stranger. I would not tell my father in law that hey your grandson hates you but I would tell him that maybe we can plan an outing for all of us to go out so your son can gradually get over his fear if its that bad. I don't think I would let him go if he screams like you say that would be very uncomfortable for both your son and in-laws.

Good luck.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

8 months old is a very normal time for stranger danger to hit. It's a totally normal phase. Personally I wouldn't send a baby off alone with someone they're currently scared of. Sometimes it's just the deep voices that spook the baby, and that's just something they get over in time. 

katherine.0706
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM
My 3 year old does this!
I have to be around for her to get used to someone. It's always men that she fears (especially if they're loud and try to baby talk her, she runs!)
I would suggest for you to tag along and just stay back. Act like you aren't there until he is inconsolable. Reassure him constantly that it's ok it's just grandpa (or whatever you call him). It'll take time but he will get used to him.
abra
by Abra on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree completely!

Quoting natural_s:

Aw poor little guy, lol. Do you guys spend a lot of time around your father in law? If not you may want to spend more time or have him come around more so your son does not look at him as a stranger. I would not tell my father in law that hey your grandson hates you but I would tell him that maybe we can plan an outing for all of us to go out so your son can gradually get over his fear if its that bad. I don't think I would let him go if he screams like you say that would be very uncomfortable for both your son and in-laws.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)