Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

thrush and breast feeding

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
I nurse my son as much as I can, but he's not a good latcher, so most of what he gets is expressed breastmilk in a bottle. He has had thrush for 10 days and I also have the yeast infection in my breasts. Really bad too, we both have nystatin and his pediatrician said I can keep nursing as ling as I apply the medicine after each feeding. Well my question is this infection doesn't seem to want to go away, so I'm wondering if it would be more beneficial to just pump and try putting him to breast in a few days? I've also noticed my milk supply has greatly diminished and I'm wondering if the yeast infection caused it?? Also he hasbeen really gassy and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, tried gas drops and gripe water and it doesn't seem to he helping, any thoughts? Suggestions?
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Get off the nystatin - it creates a nasty yeast cycle. My daughter had a yeast infection every 6 weeks because I kept using it. 

Yeast gets passed back and forth, so you have to treat you and him as well as what you're touching - the pump should be sterilized every time you use it and your clothes and his should be washed in hot water to kill the bacteria. 

Instead of using Nystatin, you can use probiotics (refrigerated kind only, they have kinds for adults and infants), you eat yogurt every day that's low sugar, stay away from sugary foods right now, try to expose the areas to the sun (if you have a medical sunlight, this is a great time to use it), and get grapefruit seed extract, which kills bacteria. You dilute it and put it on your nipples and where he's infected, and you put drops of it in the laundry so it doesn't grow in there. 

It's painful, but I breastfed through the whole thing each time. If the yeast is in his mouth, put grapefruit seed extract on your nipples and breastfeed him so it helps both of you.

angela.bouchard
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM

bump :)

307mama
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Post this in the Breastfeeding group too! I heard some sort of violet (I don't know the name!) is a huge helper for thrush. (The other group will know)
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Go to a pharmacy and get Gentian Violet. It is a small bottle that costs between $1.50-$10 depending on the brand and concentration. Call pharmacy first to see if they have it in stock. If not they can usually order it and it will come in the next day.
Take a cotton ball and swab your nipples with it and latch baby on. This stuff stains so wear old clothes until its faded. This should only take 3-4 days and thrush should be gone.

Boil everything that comes in contact with babies saliva and your breasts: pacifiers, bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.
Do a vinegar rinse of your nipples after every feeding. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and swab onto your nipples. Use a new one for the other side. Do not redip the cotton ball. Use a cotton swab dipped in vinegar and swab baby's tongue, gums, and inside of cheeks. Wash bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water. Change disposable nursing pads at every feeding or as they get wet.
Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

This & check with the breastfeeding group. Several mom's in that group delt with thrush. Good luck

Quoting Junebaby18:

Go to a pharmacy and get Gentian Violet. It is a small bottle that costs between $1.50-$10 depending on the brand and concentration. Call pharmacy first to see if they have it in stock. If not they can usually order it and it will come in the next day.
Take a cotton ball and swab your nipples with it and latch baby on. This stuff stains so wear old clothes until its faded. This should only take 3-4 days and thrush should be gone.

Boil everything that comes in contact with babies saliva and your breasts: pacifiers, bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.
Do a vinegar rinse of your nipples after every feeding. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and swab onto your nipples. Use a new one for the other side. Do not redip the cotton ball. Use a cotton swab dipped in vinegar and swab baby's tongue, gums, and inside of cheeks. Wash bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water. Change disposable nursing pads at every feeding or as they get wet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN