Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Anyone else like receiving unsolicited advice....

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 15 Replies
From a non-parent? Isn't it great? I sent a picture of my 9.5 month old to my close friends and family because he had learned how to climb onto a chair, and it was adorable. Everyone thought it was cute or funny.....except my older sister (who has no kids). She told me to "beat his ass" so he'll learn not to climb up there, so he didn't fall and get hurt.

I'll try to post the pic in the comments
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LCJan21
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Mobile Photo

This is the first time he figured it out. Then continued to climb on and off for the fun of it. He fell off backwards, one time, onto a pile of blankets.
Marimaru
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I'd have replied to her publicly that I was glad she didn't have kids.

Marimaru
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Very cute :)

My daughter gets timeouts for it, if she refuses to sit down when I tell her.  And a timeout at her age (a few months older than your son) is to sit in my lap and not be able to get down for a minute (oh the torture!).

That's for not sitting and/or running on the couch.

Quoting LCJan21:

Mobile Photo

This is the first time he figured it out. Then continued to climb on and off for the fun of it. He fell off backwards, one time, onto a pile of blankets.

ATG499
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM
LMAO!

Yes, hurt your child so he learns not to climb up there, because you worry he will hurt himself. That makes a lot of sense!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCJan21
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I told her if he falls, he falls. That's the only way he'll learn. She doesn't seem to understand that at his age, "discipline" doesn't really work. Turning his attention to something else works a lot better...

Quoting ATG499:

LMAO!

Yes, hurt your child so he learns not to climb up there, because you worry he will hurt himself. That makes a lot of sense!

LCJan21
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Thank you! Once he actually figures out the whole sitting thing, I more than likely will reinforce sitting. But at this stage, he just figured out how to get up there. I'm just marveling in my child, and she thinks I should punish him. Some people....

Quoting Marimaru:

Very cute :)

My daughter gets timeouts for it, if she refuses to sit down when I tell her.  And a timeout at her age (a few months older than your son) is to sit in my lap and not be able to get down for a minute (oh the torture!).

That's for not sitting and/or running on the couch.

Quoting LCJan21:

Mobile Photo

abra
by Abra on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM
so cute!

Quoting LCJan21:

Mobile Photo

ATG499
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Hopefully she will learn before she has a baby.

Quoting LCJan21:

I told her if he falls, he falls. That's the only way he'll learn. She doesn't seem to understand that at his age, "discipline" doesn't really work. Turning his attention to something else works a lot better...

Quoting ATG499:

LMAO!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep, I always just laugh off their comments and say "Just you wait!" Things are VERY different once you're a parent. 

alandou
by April on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh yeah. My SIL tried telling me how I need to be physically loving with my dd. All hell broke loose and made her sorry she said it. She doesn't have any kids and is never around them so she has no idea. My dd and I have a very loving and caring relationship. Pisses me off just thinking about what she said.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN