Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Is my baby overweight ??

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 35 Replies
Hey ladies I'm a first time mom and my 2 month old son just had a doctors appointment to get his first shots. His pediatrician told me he is 12 pounds and said he's a huge boy. Not healthy, huge. As a new mom I don't know what's a "healthy" weight for his age. He is breastfed exclusively, and I just wanted to make sure he isn't gaining weight too rapidly. I was overweight up until I was 16 years old and I know all too well the traumas being overweight can cause. I want to have my son healthy, not take him down that path. Do any of you know whether my sons weight is healthy for him?
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My son was 12pounds and 23 inches at his 2 month check up. I. Was told he was in. The 40th and 50th percentile for height and weight, which is average.

what was your baby's birth weight? I don't know if that makes a difference, but it sounds like he is on track :)

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

If he is breast fed he is not overweight, even a formula fed 2mth old I wouldn't say could be over weight.  Please do not push your weight issues onto your child that is even worse then being an overweight child is a parent obsessed with his weight. 

mamakate1981
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

sounds fine to me. I do not believe that an infant cam be overweight.

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby.  Most women have oversupply in the first couple of months of breastfeeding so your baby gains weight rapidly, then somewhere between 4-6 months weight gain will slow down a LOT.  Especially as baby gets more active.  Then your doctor will tell you he's not gaining enough.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I can't see a picture and you didn't post his height or his birth weight.  It's not uncommon for breast babies to gain really fast in the first 4 months and then start to slow down a lot, both of my youngest got to 80% for weight at 4 months, but then by 6 months were belwo 50% and by a year one wasn't even on the charts despite the fact that she was still nursing and ate more than her 8 year old sister.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Lol, you need to get way less sensitive about this stuff or you're in for a tough road. People are gonna make comments about your baby's size. Weather they're actually huge or not, most people will call them big and exclaim over their fat rolls. Big fat babies are generally viewed as a good thing. It means they're healthy and growing well :-)

My fourth turned 3 months yesterday. He's 15.8 pounds. He was only 7.5 pounds at birth! He's also grown almost 6 inches in length since birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

You can't overfeed a breastfedbaby.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Quoting Mom2Just1:

You can't overfeed a breastfedbaby.

mommyhonu
by Mary on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. My boys were always on the bigger side because they were all breastfed too. Once he becomes mobil he won't gain as fast. He's ok.

angela.bouchard
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I don't think an infant can be over weight. Especially when they are exclusively breast fed. If you were pushing solids on him at this age, then I'd be concerned. I think you're doing just fine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN