Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

bfing to bottle

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 9 Replies
I've been bfing for 2 1/2 months and the other day I tried giving my son a bottle but he wouldn't take it. I tried again later that day but he wouldn't take it. I don't know what to do.. I have to go back to work after the 26th. I know I'm going to have to give him the bottle from now on so he can learn to get used to it but I don't want to stop bfing. Should I bottle feed every other feeding or only during the day or at night? Help please. Fyi I'm not going to formula feed.. Im still going to give him breastmilk. Oh.. I dont have extra breastmilk storage bags and I can't afford any right now.. what can I use? I read to use zip lock bags but elsewhere I read to not use them. This is my first time bfing so I'm still learning.
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Candie1015
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Tey a different nipple... sometimes that helps. You can speak to bf consultants that might jave better ideas through WIC as well as getting storage bags and a free pump. Since your going back to work thwy will give you a mechanical pump. Seriously talking to one of the bf consultants will help
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

You should never be the one offering a bottle, that's what the issue is.  Baby knows you have the good stuff.  You don't need to give a bottle to "prepare" baby either.  Just leave 1-1.25 ounces per hour of seperation and a slow flow nipple bottle, with instructions on how to bottle feed the breastfed baby and go.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM
He won't take it from you because you have the boobs;-) Why take a bottle when the taps right there?

You don't need to get baby used to the bottle. Just hand baby to the caregiver and leave. Baby well take the bottle or he won't, he won't starve. Look up reverse cycling, it should help put your mind at ease.

Now before you leave baby you need to know the guidelines for bottle feeding a breastfeeding baby and make sure the caregiver follows them!

#1 Only leave 1-1.25 oz per hour you'll be away. So 8-10oz for 8 hours.

#2 The caregiver sold feed based on time between feedings; so if baby eats every 2 hours he should get 2-2.5oz.

#3 Baby never gets more then 3oz every 3 hours. Your milk is perfect and changes to meet his needs so amount doesn't need to increase beyond 3oz/3hrs.

#4 Baby gets burped every ounce and he needs to be fed sitting more upright.

Quoting aztecqueen22:

I've been bfing for 2 1/2 months and the other day I tried giving my son a bottle but he wouldn't take it. I tried again later that day but he wouldn't take it. I don't know what to do.. I have to go back to work after the 26th. I know I'm going to have to give him the bottle from now on so he can learn to get used to it but I don't want to stop bfing. Should I bottle feed every other feeding or only during the day or at night? Help please. Fyi I'm not going to formula feed.. Im still going to give him breastmilk. Oh.. I dont have extra breastmilk storage bags and I can't afford any right now.. what can I use? I read to use zip lock bags but elsewhere I read to not use them. This is my first time bfing so I'm still learning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmaw89
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM
You can freeze in ice cube trays then transfer to ziplocks.
He likely will take a bottle when you are gone.
He may like a sippy, spoon, or syringe better. Or the bm scubes previously mentioned.
I wouldn't stress the bottle now, he'll either take it or he won't. But he will not starve himself
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Join the breastfeeding group & check Kellymom.com, search how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. You shouldn't ever give the baby a bottle. Only the caregiver should & only feed 1 oz per hour in 3 hour increments (so 3 oz every 3 hours). Pump often at work.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Are you there when the bottle is being given?  Just have someone else give it when I had to use a bottle I like the ones with the drop ins don't remember the name but my kids liked them best. 

Edenpeden
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Join the breast feeding group! Theyre very educated on bf
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I'm not sure, my breastfed daughter would never take a bottle or a pacifier. She knew the difference and didn't want the artifical stuff. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM

My children would only take bottles from someone other then me. I suggest joining the breastfeeding group for further advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)