Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of starting this tradition...

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this
Last year I was playing around with the idea of starting a family tradition for Christmas. I never came up with anything I liked. I was browsing DIY Christmas decor on Pinterest and came up with an idea. I was thinking of starting a tradition by making our own ornaments for eachother and exchanging them on Christmas Eve. Do you have any traditions?

Babies Group Mod

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM
That's really cute. We don't have any traditions other than the usual opening presents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emschick38
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
We do a Christmas Eve box. Movie, new pjs, snacks and popcorn. Cuddle and watch the movie.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this

We do ornaments for the kids to give to family (nana, grandma, aunties, etc...)... and I'm hoping to wrap up books to open for the "12 days of christmas" this year.   :)

mrskandi
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Growing up ,we always did they opening of the presents on christmas eve ,It is just cause my mom always worked on christmas day ,so I am keeping up with that .On Christmas day we spend the day ,watching movies and enjoying the day together ,we eat turkey and just have fun .

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

We do the Christmas Eve pjs and an ornament, but this year I'm thinking of turning it into a box with a movie and snacks too. 

We go to Christmas Midnight Mass each year, I love it! After we come home, we put out all the gifts and the Santa cookies. 

We also usually get Bojangles/KFC chicken on Christmas Eve. No idea why, my parents started doing it years ago as the one time we'd get to eat from there. It's so ingrained that I do it now too!

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Christmas morning is for pajamas, at least for DD. Even if we go to a family's house, if it's still Christmas morning, she'll still be in her new comfy pajamas. I don't believe in making them wear frilly dresses and tights on Christmas Morning! Most people think that's weird, but I'll dress them up the day before or later that day. 

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up getting a new ornament each year, so I've started that with my kids. I'm starting the Elf on the Shelf this year, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids get to pick out a new ornament each year. I write their name and the year on the back of it and then they put it on the tree.

I get them each a new set of PJs and slippers that match. They put them on for decorating the tree and then I get a photo of them in front of it. I just ordered their PJs today! The new lines came out from Gymboree and they had some cute matching sheep ones :)

We also do elf on the shelf :) He's coming December 1st, this will be our 4th year and my kids can't wait for him to get here.

CB3arr
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sharing a childhood friend's family tradition, because I always thought it was really neat.

They had four kids and they would get up early (like 5 or 6) to start opening presents.  They opened one present per hour.  Then everyone would get an hour to spend with that present.  Then they would all come back to the tree and open another present.  I remember one  Christmas my friend got a new comforter for her bed.  She spent her hour taking a nap with her new blanket.

CB3arr
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM

We always stayed in our pjs for Christmas too.  The fun is in climbing out of bed and running straight to the tree!

Quoting Turtledoves:

Christmas morning is for pajamas, at least for DD. Even if we go to a family's house, if it's still Christmas morning, she'll still be in her new comfy pajamas. I don't believe in making them wear frilly dresses and tights on Christmas Morning! Most people think that's weird, but I'll dress them up the day before or later that day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)