Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

SOS!! Need to teach my baby fall asleep by herself ASAP

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
  • 71 Replies
Hi mothers! My baby girl is turning 1 next week and she still doesn't know how to fall asleep by herself. It's totally my fault that I nurse her to sleep every single night till now!! My biggest worries is that I am having my second baby in 6 months and there will be 2 crying babies at night which I will be in big trouble. I desperately need to find a way to teach my daughter how to fall asleep by herself and sleep through the night. Plus I have to wean her off breast milk and switch her to whole milk soon------she is not going to be happy 😣
When my daughter was 8 months old, I wrote here to ask if I should nurse her through the night, most mom say yes. I followed it. But now having pregnant with my second baby, it's a different story now. I seriously need to find a way to fix this ASAP. Need your help! Thanks!
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM
You can't force if. She will do it when she is ready. You don't have to wean. I still nurse my 1 year old to sleep most nights.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by switch her to whole milk. Why do you have to wean her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparkle.ana
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Why do you have to wean her? I'm still nursing my 16 month old and my three month old. Don't force her to sleep on her own, set up a regular routine and stick to it. Make it special, give her a stuffed animal, something she only gets to sleep.
graycalico
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM
You can't teach that. They do it when they're able to. I'm nursing my 5 month old and my 2 year old
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM
You can nurse both ya know. Problem solved lay in bed shove one boob in each mouth and you're set :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Everyone above me is right. No need to force her to wean. And she will not suddenly be able to go to sleep alone and sleep all night, just because she has been forced to wean.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 4:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm expecting baby three and number two still nurses to sleep sometimes. He doesn't nurse at night anymore, we stopped that a few months ago, but he goes to bed just fine. I used to nurse him to sleep while sitting with my older one while she went to sleep. He still doesn't always sleep all night, but he's getting better at putting himself back to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrossStitchMum
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 5:00 AM
I weaned each 1 just a few weeks before the next was born (I knew I wouldn't be able to handle feeding 2 at once) and coslept with both baby and toddler
Salsacookies
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't have to wean her at all. It's totally possible to tandem nurse. WHO recommends breastfeeding until 2 years or beyond. It's normal for a baby to want to nurse to sleep. I guess you probably should have thought about all of this before you got pregnant again...

LilliesValley
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Why not tandem nurse? Shes still a baby. She doesn't "get" why she should suffer bc you got pregnant. Her whole world consists of nursing at bed time. I would keep bf at night. Only other thing is to try to substitute something else or cio. But I think you should keep treating her like the baby she is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)