Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

First finger foods

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 16 Replies
My baby is 10 months old & able to pick up food & put it in his mouth. I am having difficulty finding finger foods for him because he chokes so easily. I haven't tried many foods because he even chokes on bananas. I was thinking of trying very soft cooked carrots or pasta. Any other suggestions? I'm nervous!
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Whatever you eat. My kids were eating breakfast and dinner with us every day at that age.
Is he choking or gagging? Gagging is a learning process, he's learning how to chew and swallow properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Both. He tries to "gum" the food but it sometimes gets caught in his throat because he tries to swallow it whole. Or he just lets it sit in his mouth if it is something that doesn't dissolve on its own. I want him to be more independent with eating but there is no way he could eat certain foods. Like meat....he would for sure choke since he can't even eat bananas. I just don't know what other foods to try.

When you say "chew" do you mean the motion of chewing since he only has a few front teeth?

Quoting polkaspots: Whatever you eat. My kids were eating breakfast and dinner with us every day at that age.
Is he choking or gagging? Gagging is a learning process, he's learning how to chew and swallow properly.
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Very tender meat would actually be good for him. DH accidentally bought pork twice so we had a buttload of pork in the house when ds started solids. We had shredded, slow cooked pork once a day for at least a month.
Another option would be fist sized foods that he can gnaw on, like the size of a carrot stick. You can prepare a lot of foods like that from sliced fruit to chicken cutlets.
Yes, that is what I mean by chew. Ds didn't have side teeth until maybe 18 months old. Until then he only had the very front teeth.
The point I'm trying to make is that the whole learning to eat thing is a process. Letting him try everything gives him the best chance for figuring it out. It will clearly take some time since he's having trouble with the concept, but it's part of growing up. He will learn to eat food by himself.

Quoting KarenM42: Both. He tries to "gum" the food but it sometimes gets caught in his throat because he tries to swallow it whole. Or he just lets it sit in his mouth if it is something that doesn't dissolve on its own. I want him to be more independent with eating but there is no way he could eat certain foods. Like meat....he would for sure choke since he can't even eat bananas. I just don't know what other foods to try.

When you say "chew" do you mean the motion of chewing since he only has a few front teeth?

Quoting polkaspots: Whatever you eat. My kids were eating breakfast and dinner with us every day at that age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I just bought some pears, avocados, and carrots. I'm going to try these. I think you are right. In order to learn he has to just do it. Thanks!

Quoting polkaspots: Very tender meat would actually be good for him. DH accidentally bought pork twice so we had a buttload of pork in the house when ds started solids. We had shredded, slow cooked pork once a day for at least a month.

Another option would be fist sized foods that he can gnaw on, like the size of a carrot stick. You can prepare a lot of foods like that from sliced fruit to chicken cutlets.

Yes, that is what I mean by chew. Ds didn't have side teeth until maybe 18 months old. Until then he only had the very front teeth.

The point I'm trying to make is that the whole learning to eat thing is a process. Letting him try everything gives him the best chance for figuring it out. It will clearly take some time since he's having trouble with the concept, but it's part of growing up. He will learn to eat food by himself.

Quoting KarenM42: Both. He tries to "gum" the food but it sometimes gets caught in his throat because he tries to swallow it whole. Or he just lets it sit in his mouth if it is something that doesn't dissolve on its own. I want him to be more independent with eating but there is no way he could eat certain foods. Like meat....he would for sure choke since he can't even eat bananas. I just don't know what other foods to try.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM
No problem. I had these same questions when my son started foods. Dd was so good at eating everything, but ds had weird texture things and took longer. He wouldn't eat anything that got his hands messy, so he had to use a fork when he ate fruits. He wouldn't eat anything breaded because the crumbs made his face dirty... He was a really weird eater until he learned how to wipe his own hands and face when he wanted to.

Quoting KarenM42: I just bought some pears, avocados, and carrots. I'm going to try these. I think you are right. In order to learn he has to just do it. Thanks!

Quoting polkaspots: Very tender meat would actually be good for him. DH accidentally bought pork twice so we had a buttload of pork in the house when ds started solids. We had shredded, slow cooked pork once a day for at least a month.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Banana was my baby's first finger food. Also sweet potato.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Shredded meat and cooked veggies. As long as baby is coughing and can breath they aren't choking.
christina122952
by pinupqueen on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Fruits,cereal,and soft cookies
marleasmommy91
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Puffs, cheerios, yogurt bites, etc.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

xsmum
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Make sure to cut it up into a million pieces but only give him 5 pieces at a time. If he shoves it all five pieces limit to two at time. Anything soft and mushy like banana he should be able to handle. If you do that and he still chokes i would ask your doctor why he cant handle chewing. He if he haves at least 5 teeth he should be able handle Cheerios and things like that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)