Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby #2?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 34 Replies

How do you know when you're ready for baby #2? My first is almost 4 months, I know I'm not ready to try for another little one yet. I want our kids to be close together and I know it takes 9 months, so I'm just thinking when did you guys know when it's right to start trying? Or how far apart are your kids, pros and cons for being very close in age or further apart?

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudMeof2
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

My son the oldest is 3 (Feb. 18, 2010) and my baby daughter is 11 months old (Jan. 11. 2013). We thought we were only going to have 1, but after about a year and a half, I started feeling like I wanted another baby and started talking to my husband about it. I like having them close in age. My son is very protective of his sister and I think he helps her progress. Shes been walking since 8 months and already has like 7 words in her vocabulary.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Mine are thirteen, nine, and thirteen months. I don't like the big gap, but I wans't ready to have them closer then that.

I've been TTC since my youngest was six months, I want these two to be as close together as I can get them.

Luke8212013
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Quoting Zazayam:

Mine are thirteen, nine, and thirteen months. I don't like the big gap, but I wans't ready to have them closer then that.

I've been TTC since my youngest was six months, I want these two to be as close together as I can get them.

That's one thing I worry about is having trouble getting pregnant when we are ready and having it take much longer than expected, and having larger gaps in age then what I think I want...

I hope you get your BFP soon:) 

thanks for the advice.

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM
We agreed to start ttc our second baby as soon as possible after having our first to try to have them close in age. DS ended up being 2.5 years younger than DD, but I'm enjoying this difference in age. One pro is that DD was out of diapers for 11 months before DS came along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this
For me, breastfeeding at least a full year is really important, so I wouldn't consider trying until close to a year. Also being an experienced mom now, I know that when they first become really mobile around a year things get rough for a bit with teaching them boundaries and all. Although I know plenty do it, I can't imagine giving both a newborn & newly one year old the truly necessary attention simultaneously like that!...not to mention potentially dealing with night waking of the older baby while exhausted from being pregnant with the next.

Lol probably way more of a reply than you were looking for :-) Anyway my youngest was born when the older 3 were 14, 4, & 2. The age gaps have been perfect for us. The nice thing is it tends to be great no matter what you decide :-D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cheyennesmommy4
by Christina on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I would wait and get your first one into a routine before thinking about baby #2. Charlie and Mason are almost 3 years apart in age, and I am ready for another one. My son Charlie will be a year old next month. My DF and I are TTCing and have had two miscarriages so far. I decided to take a break for a little while. We aren't trying but we aren't preventing eithier. I had a csection though, so it's best to allow time for the body to fully heal.

C8linVilla
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

my kids are 

5yrs

3yrs

2yrs 

5 months

I love the 2 year age difference but i like the 11 month age difference better. they both potty trained well toether even though one is still working on it. they bond together better and have someone their age with the same interests to play with. But the tempertantrums are times 2, diapers times 2, terrible twos seem to stick around longer. My last 2 were not planned but we started trying for our 2nd when my oldest was only 4 weeks old. we wanted them close. 

Stevensmomma
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM

My kids are 5.5 and 17 mths I like the age gap I felt I got to enjoy the baby and toddler stage more and spend more time focusing on them be the oldest wasn't as needy and undertood more and can be more involved . But that's me and what I preferred if I do have another it will be another four year gap.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

My babies are 15 months apart. It's tough when they both want your attention or they are both crying. The older one inevitably had to grow up a little faster.. But there are times when it is fun too. It's kind of good because you are in the same "mode" when the 2nd is born and they can sort of share toys and interests. I'm sure it will only get better as they get older too. But when the second is a newborn and the first is still a baby it is tough. I dont reccomend it unless you are baby crazy or want to get all the baby making out of your system fast.

Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Well I wasnt ready for 4 years. I felt I wanted to give all my attention to one child while she needed it. No she is more independent and I dont have to be hovering over her, I felt ready. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)