Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does baby wear to a service?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
  • 25 Replies
My grandpa passed away and the service is Friday, I have not even thought about clothing. I have a seventh month old daughter, what is apporpiate for her to wear?
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I would just get her a nice dress, it doesn't have to be black. If it were me though, I would leave her with a sitter if I could. We had the same thing come up with my daughter when she was around 18 mo and the whole family agreed it would be easier for her to stay with part of DH's family while we went to the funeral. 

AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM
I thought about that, but everyone that I trust or that she is comfortable with is going. My mom said there is a family room off to the side and we will be in there. We are such a close family. I kind of feel she needs to be there.

Quoting victoriaherring:

I would just get her a nice dress, it doesn't have to be black. If it were me though, I would leave her with a sitter if I could. We had the same thing come up with my daughter when she was around 18 mo and the whole family agreed it would be easier for her to stay with part of DH's family while we went to the funeral. 

lenashark
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

In my family, kids wear white to funerals, but thats not the tradition in all familys so if we are going to a friends funeral or a relative of a friends who live out of town, we put the kids in formal dark clothing. We went to one out of town for a friends grandfather a few weeks ago and my four month old daughter wore this

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Thats good that there will be somewhere to go. My DD is so active it is hard to keep her entertained and quiet for very long, that is why she didn't go. I would have missed the whole service with her. I'm sure if something happens and she gets loud your family will understand though. Our family is close like that too.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: I thought about that, but everyone that I trust or that she is comfortable with is going. My mom said there is a family room off to the side and we will be in there. We are such a close family. I kind of feel she needs to be there.

Quoting victoriaherring:

lenashark
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Children are also often a comfort during times of grief.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: I thought about that, but everyone that I trust or that she is comfortable with is going. My mom said there is a family room off to the side and we will be in there. We are such a close family. I kind of feel she needs to be there.

Quoting victoriaherring:

momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM
I dressed dd in clothes like i would for a special gathering. Sorry for your loss.
momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I can understand at that age not bringing her. They are so busy and won't sit still.

Quoting victoriaherring:

Thats good that there will be somewhere to go. My DD is so active it is hard to keep her entertained and quiet for very long, that is why she didn't go. I would have missed the whole service with her. I'm sure if something happens and she gets loud your family will understand though. Our family is close like that too.

Quoting victoriaherring:

momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Sad occasion, but its so pretty. Where did you get it?
Quoting lenashark:

In my family, kids wear white to funerals, but thats not the tradition in all familys so if we are going to a friends funeral or a relative of a friends who live out of town, we put the kids in formal dark clothing. We went to one out of town for a friends grandfather a few weeks ago and my four month old daughter wore this

lenashark
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM

It was a hand me down, so I'm not sure if they still make the same dress, but its from Janie and Jack.

Quoting momto1ryen:
Sad occasion, but its so pretty. Where did you get it?
Quoting lenashark:

BrandiLPalacios
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I just had a funeral for my mom in September. At the time my daughter was 4 months old and I just put her in a simple demin dress.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)