Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

im exhausted.

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 24 Replies

My DD is 3.5 months old and hates sleep (I think lol).

She sleeps 10-12 hours at night but wakes every 2-4 and sometimes stays up for 2hours  (last night was up from midnight - 215am) she prefers to sleep in my arms but I am not comftorable with that. Lately her first and longest stretch is in the car seat. I have to rock her to sleep, hold her for 20min or so after shes asleep, then put her in her car seat and walk her around in that THEN I can put her down... more often then not she wakes up and I have to do it all again. She rarely takes nap (usually only if we run errands and shes in the car). I need help. How do I get her to sleep in anything besides her car seat? How do I get her to fall asleep with out being rocked for nearly an hour? Im fine with her not sleeping longer stretches, well not really but I know thats normal and she will sleep longer stretches in time. I just need advice all around the board when it comes to sleeping. 

thanks.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nickie76
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Aw I'm sorry :( I have 7 kids and the first five were awesome sleepers! My last two??? Good god they don't sleep! It's getting better now that they're a year old, but it took time. My only advice is sneak as much sleep as you can when you can! Good luck!
kman88
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

wow 7!!! with this sleeping pattern my little lady has I cant imagine having 2 lol.

Quoting Nickie76: Aw I'm sorry :( I have 7 kids and the first five were awesome sleepers! My last two??? Good god they don't sleep! It's getting better now that they're a year old, but it took time. My only advice is sneak as much sleep as you can when you can! Good luck!

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM
My youngest is like that. He is 13 months and still wakes to nurse.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Co sleep, baby wear... It's pretty typical behavior... You have to learn to get what you need around it. Look up Dr James McKenna and read about co sleeping, it should help you be more comfortable with it.
LilTymomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

ok,....not trrying to assume..but is she crying the entire time, are you feeding her when she wakes up in the middle of the night? and does she have a bed time yet?  do you burp her after feeding? is she comfortable in what shes wearing? is she too cold or too hot?...sorry,..I always like to look at all the possibilities, not trying to assume you don't know, there's always something we overlook.

kman88
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I move to much when I sleep and have to cuddle with a bunch of blankets and pillows. It's just not safe for me to co sleep. Also the few times I have done it I didn't get any sleep bc I wasn't comfy (without all my extra blankets and pillows)

Quoting SewingMamaLele: Co sleep, baby wear... It's pretty typical behavior... You have to learn to get what you need around it. Look up Dr James McKenna and read about co sleeping, it should help you be more comfortable with it.

kman88
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

She's bottle fed. 

Quoting Mom2Just1: My youngest is like that. He is 13 months and still wakes to nurse.

kman88
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Her bedtime is between 7-9 she gets tired around 7pm but 3 nights a week I work until 9 pm and she just won't sleep for daddy. (He says bc he doesn't have the boobs to rock her lol) sometimes she's fussy and crying when I initially put her to sleep but not for long. When she wakes up she fusses but as soon as I picked her up she's calm and almost immediately back to sleep. Yes I burp her. She has been diagnosed with reflux, she takes Zantac in the am and evening and is burped / propped up after feedings. She doesn't seem to be uncomfy. And when she wakes up in the middle of the night she only cries until she is fed. As soon as I put the bottle in her mouth she goes back to sleep and dream eats. If she stays awake she's usually happy as can be smiling and talking away. 

Some more info.. She gets breast milk but only from the bottle. She occasionally takes a paci but I usually have to hold it in place for her and she prefers them fresh out of the freezer. She also likes her milk cold/ straight out of the fridge. I do let her sleep in my bed I just prefer not to cuddle with her. For now my DF has been sleeping on the couch and dd takes his side of the bed (we have a king pushed against the wall) I don't mind her sleeping in bed with me but in the long run want her in her crib. 

Her ped said to put her down drowsy but awake so she will sleep on her own...in the evenings when she's tired if I'm not holding her she screams bloody murder until I pick her up.

Quoting LilTymomma:

ok,....not trrying to assume..but is she crying the entire time, are you feeding her when she wakes up in the middle of the night? and does she have a bed time yet?  do you burp her after feeding? is she comfortable in what shes wearing? is she too cold or too hot?...sorry,..I always like to look at all the possibilities, not trying to assume you don't know, there's always something we overlook.

LilTymomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Bed time routine, would be great I started  abed time routine when around that age possible at 4mos. And he'll know when it was bedtime whether it was me or daddy. If you can have both of you do it at the same time once in while. Like saying its  bedtime, and putting PJs on and reading a book, abd tucking her in, you now something like that. Our pediatrician recommended we kept him awake while he was feeding. So maybe you should try that. Also, I think (based on my mother's Opinion ) that too cold of a drink can give them stomach pains, but im not sure. Ours likes his milk cold he is 3 but before he had actual milk we gave him room temperature. I don't know something to think about.  

kman88
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

She won't take it room temp/warm.. A couple weeks ago she started fussing when it came to feedings and she just wouldn't take the bottle warm. One day she was super fussy and I took it straight out the fridge and gave it to her and that's the only way she will take it ever since. She has an appt in 2 weeks I will talk to her ped then. And yeah we do the routine but she does fall asleep eating. She gets a bath (every other day or two) then I massage her with lotion, dress her, fed her, and rock her. She's getting a lot of books for Xmas so we will then add in reading to her. 

Quoting LilTymomma:

Bed time routine, would be great I started  abed time routine when around that age possible at 4mos. And he'll know when it was bedtime whether it was me or daddy. If you can have both of you do it at the same time once in while. Like saying its  bedtime, and putting PJs on and reading a book, abd tucking her in, you now something like that. Our pediatrician recommended we kept him awake while he was feeding. So maybe you should try that. Also, I think (based on my mother's Opinion ) that too cold of a drink can give them stomach pains, but im not sure. Ours likes his milk cold he is 3 but before he had actual milk we gave him room temperature. I don't know something to think about.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)