Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby blues

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hello ladies!  Im looking for some support/advice etc.  I had a beautiful boy on Dec 9th.  He is an easy baby and is doing well.  Problem is I have "baby blues".  Im soo emotional, crying over nothing and anything.  I had the baby blues with my other son and I just remember it just went away after 2weeks or so.  But my other son was a difficult baby so having the baby blues made more sense to me.  Now I have it and its worse than before.  I feel a bit crazy being soo sad and emotional when I have a great family and a husband who is has taken off all week to help me.  Have any of you experienced the "baby blues"?  What got you through the hormones, ups and downs....how long did it last?  Thank you for the support and advice!

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I had it with my first and third. My second it was not baby blues, it was full on PPD. My first and third it went away in a week or two. My second I went on medication for it.

With my first and third, we knew it would pass. Hubby helped out as much as he could. He let me rest and take the time I needed. He would bring baby to me to feed and when I wanted baby. I just needed time.

My second I went into my Dr and talked to her. Because it was a lot more then just baby blues. We talked and decided what was best for me.

jessymoka
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
There is definitely a two or three week adjustment period when you have a baby, they don't call it the "4th trimester" for nothing.
No matter how easy your baby is your body just went through a major major thing. Yes pregnancy and child birth IS natural, but you grew a human who was taking nutrients and blood and hormones from you. Labor and delivery or a csection is a big deal... Throw in a little bit of sleep deprivation and sore nipple from nursing or engorged breast from drying up and you have the perfect storm for an emotional break down.

I am so thankful I have never had PPD, and know that unfortunately many women do struggle with it.
I say give yourself a little time for things to normal out (unless you are having bad or harmful thoughts, then get help immediately) maybe until the end of the month. If your issues haven't eased up then go see someone. BUT ultimately you know yourself better then us random Cafe Mom moms, do what you feel you need to do in your heart.

I remember post partum (5 months ago) having complete crying break downs about nothing, or about my daughter waking up from a nap before I was ready, etc. she also had colic... My hubby came home from work to us a couple of days, both laying in bed and us both crying. I remember telling him, "I love her so much, but she doesn't like me and I can't make her happy, what do I do with a baby who hates me?!"
I remember how desperate and miserable I felt.
So thankful that once I started getting some sleep, my milk supply regulated, etc. that emotionally I got better.
I pray the same happens for you.
Hugs mama!
abra
by Abra on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't have the baby blues, I had pretty severe post partum depression all 4 times, though! Are you getting any sunlight? I know, dead of winter that is difficult, but it can really help.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had baby blues and post partum depression. Exercise and eating healthy can help. If you can manage to squeeze in some hobbies that can help as well. Make sure to get as much sleep as humanly possible with a little one. Baby blues is totally normal. I think it can last for up to 4 weeks but anything after that is considered post partum.

lucasmadre
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

it is probably just plain old hormones. I cried for at least two weeks but then it let up. If you don't feel better soon you should tell your doctor as it could be a hormonal imbalance and there is NO need to suffer needlessly. Baby blues are to be expected but if it keeps going on then you should tell the doctor for sure. Congratulations on your beautiful baby!!!  xo

DylsMom12
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM

sounds like pospartum depression..ask your doctor for some advice or get dh or df to help you out more and talk to him about it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)