Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Sinus Infection?

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

Is there any way to know if my son has a sinus infection. My son has had a runny nose for about a week and a half. At first, it was clear. But now it's turning a dark green. He isn't running a fever and seems otherwise fine. It's hard to get him to sleep though because of his stuffy nose.

I've done the nose suction thing but that only works for a little while. I'm a bit unsure of what to do. I don't have a dehumidifier. I've read that vicks vapor rub on the feet help with that. Any suggestions?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Usually you get a sinus infection cause you are unable to clear out the mucus so if his nose is running I would say no but you could always call the pedi to see what they say.
expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh and for suggestions. I would steam up the bathroom. Also try some fresh air to get out of all the germs. For bed time I would prop him up a little bit to help breathe.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Thanks. The last time he had a sinus infection, it was just awful. He was around six months old I think. I was pretty close to taking him to the pedi. I did call that time and I was told that unless he starts running a fever, to just keep his nose clear. It cleared up by itself in about two weeks.

I had to keep him sleeping on my arm last night until he fell asleep. lol. Then I laid him on his side because it seemed like it was easier for him to breath that way.

Quoting expectantmom81: Oh and for suggestions. I would steam up the bathroom. Also try some fresh air to get out of all the germs. For bed time I would prop him up a little bit to help breathe.

CafeMom Tickers

mommyhonu
by Mary on Dec. 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

have you tried steaming up the bathroom?

If you breast feed you can also use breastmilk and put a few drops up his nose.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I was going to suggest steaming up the bathroom as well.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

From webmd

Sinus Infection Symptoms

Look for the following symptoms:

• Sinus pressure behind the eyes and the cheeks
  • A runny, stuffy nose that lasts more than a week
  • A worsening headache
  • Slight dizziness when shifting position
  • A fever
  • Cough
  • Bad breath
  • Thick yellow or green mucus draining from your nose or down the back of your throat (postnasal drip)
  • Fatigue
  • Decreased sense of smell
ProudMeof2
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter had this about a month and a half ago. We waited thinking it would go away and it didn't. Her nose was runny but she was also stuffy and getting a horrible drip down her throat. When we took her in, the pediatrician gave us an antibiotic and within a couple of days she was better. Now she is showing signs of it starting again which started yesterday and today she is the same and now my husband is sick so this time I won't be waiting a week for her to be seen.

CafeMom Tickers

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I'd steam up the bathroom too! Humidifiers are pretty inexpensive at Walmart. I'd pick one up when you can. They work wonders for littles when they're sick. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)