Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 month feeding

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM
  • 59 Replies
HI. I'm sure this has been posted several times but here goes again....my son is 5 1/2 months old. I am wondering if I'm feeding him enough. He eats 6 oz every four hours and has one tablespoon of cereal with some veggies twice a day. Should I be feeding him more cereal? He doesn't sleep well at night. He goes to bed around 8-9 and wakes at midnight/1 to eat and then wakes again 3-4 hours later.
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilliesValley
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh my gross over feeding. Your child's poor stomach.
rachellyn612
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

if shes over feeding then he wouldnt wake up still hungry. (hints to why hes still waking up)

My son would eat like that so i would give him  bottle before bed with rice in it and it seemed to do the trick!

Greenstone920
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Honestly, that sounds just fine.  And no, don't feed him more cereal.  That stuff is void of any nutritional value.  People that brag about their babies sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old, or even 3 months old, are few.  Most babies continue to wake to eat until closer to a year, and many well past the year mark.  

Greenstone920
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:02 AM

That's not overfeeding at all.  It's right on target for the babies age.  I may not agree with solids before 6 months, or giving cereal at all, but she's far from overfeeding.  Hell, I never used forumla for either of my kids, and I'm aware of the guidelines.

Quoting LilliesValley: Oh my gross over feeding. Your child's poor stomach.

LilliesValley
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Ummm if it's not recommended until six months then doing it before is over feeding. And no baby needs six ounces in one feeding. Again over feeding. Babies aren't supposed to sleep through the night. I mean it's great if they do but it shouldn't be the goal that so many moms make it before they are a year old.

Quoting Greenstone920:

That's not overfeeding at all.  It's right on target for the babies age.  I may not agree with solids before 6 months, or giving cereal at all, but she's far from overfeeding.  Hell, I never used forumla for either of my kids, and I'm aware of the guidelines.

Quoting LilliesValley: Oh my gross over feeding. Your child's poor stomach.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Your five month old is still supposed to be waking up to feed at night. I'm not sure about formula amounts since it's been a while, but that sounds about right for his age. He doesn't need cereal at all and he's too young for solids in general. I'd stop giving the solids and you should start to see him sleep a little better without them. His stomach still isn't ready to digest them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM
You can still over feed. An infant's stomach is small and can only hold so much. When it empties yes they will wake up and be hungry. If you over feed tgey can still wake-up hours later and because you are stretching their stomach you are setting them up for problems later in life. Babies aren't supposed to sleep through the night. Again as I replied to someone else if they do great but before a year that really shouldn't be a goal.

Quoting rachellyn612:

if shes over feeding then he wouldnt wake up still hungry. (hints to why hes still waking up)

My son would eat like that so i would give him  bottle before bed with rice in it and it seemed to do the trick!

Stevensmomma
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Stop the cereal it's empty filler all he needs is breast milk or formula right now feed him more frequent do every two or three hours not every four and talk to your pedi 

Stevensmomma
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree Lillie's valley ! 

I would feed more frequent and get rid of the solids it's too early for him to be eating them do every two- three hours rather than every four

Quoting LilliesValley: You can still over feed. An infant's stomach is small and can only hold so much. When it empties yes they will wake up and be hungry. If you over feed tgey can still wake-up hours later and because you are stretching their stomach you are setting them up for problems later in life. Babies aren't supposed to sleep through the night. Again as I replied to someone else if they do great but before a year that really shouldn't be a goal.

Quoting rachellyn612:

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Wow...massive overfeeding. I have no experience with formula.  But he should not be getting cereal or any solids before 6 months.  Cereal is probably upsetting his tummy because they can't digest that crap before a year.  It is a a lot of process food for him.  Poor baby.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)