Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thrush

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 9 Replies
So my baby Samuel apparently has thrush. He will be 3wks tomorrow. He has had a diaper rash for a week. I've called the dr several times as it didn't look good. I'm not using wipes. I'm changing him nonstop and airing his poor butt. I'm applying butt paste to create a barrier and no improvement. So then yesterday we noticed his tongue was white. I called the after hours number and I have to wait for the dr today. I just want the dr to call something in! I don't want to take my 3wk old baby into the drs on a Sunday when it's filled with sick kids. I've never experienced thrush. My other son never had it. Any advice on how to help him is welcome. I just needed to vent really. I feel so bad for him. He's not cranky at least. Ok done venting.
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Genetian (or something close to that) Violet. You can pick it up otc. Paint it in your breasts right before he nurses. It'll stain you purple but clears it right up.

The diaper area isn't going to get better until you treat it either. Butt paste won't do a darn thing (except make it worse possibly) You need anti fungal medication like what you'd use for a yeast infection or athlete's foot.
I've heard that vinegar & coconut oil are also effective cures for yeast, but the vinegar would likely sting like crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Natasha on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Never dealt with thrush, but the pedi needs to look at him if he's only 3 weeks old. Ask if you can take him into a room where he's not in contact with the older kids.

Our pedi has a sick and well room as well as another room you can request to take highly sensative patients into.  All children under 12 months go directly to the well room whether they are in for well child or sick visit. They just don't want babies in the sick room whatsoever.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Dec. 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try coconut oil on the rash, as for the thrush in his mouth it sounds like some posters above me had some good ideas. I hope he feels better soon!

AbbeysMom2013
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry, thrush sucks! My daughter has had it off and on since she was a month old, and she is now seven months. The diaper rash is completely related to the thrush. They gave us a medicine that we had to use for two weeks, but that actually didn't clear it in my daughter. We use the gentian violet and it's gone the next day. I would wait until you see the dr, just to be safe. I understand how frustrating it is. I was told it can keep coming back for a year. I really hope that doesn't happen for your little one. If you want to talk you can always message me :)
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I've never dealt with thrush but it looks like the ladies above posted great advice.

angelchewning
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

UGHHH Me and DS had thrush a few weeks back. HORRIBLE!!! I had it on my nipples as well and it was excruciating! The Gentian Violet does work and Does STAIN. I also did a cottonball with vinegar on my nipples between feedings, It actually didnt sting at all like i though it would. It took the sting away for me and the cool of it was some relief. Hope your both better soon. Like larissalarie said paint it right on your nipples so you are both treated simultaneously. If you decide to go RX instead of using the violet make sure you BOTH get RX so you dont pass it back and forth.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up thrush on kellymom.com. All the best remedies and procedures are there.
momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Are you nursing?
charley31
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate it. He's now on oral Meds and a cream for the rash. I'm no longer bf so I'm just medicating him. Thanks again to you all
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)