Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to use pacifier or not?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 34 Replies
Is it a good idea or bad idea to use dummy for a 1 month old totalllly breastfed baby
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelchewning
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM

well, I think it depends... does she seem to want to suck? Is she full? Past the 4 week mark you should be OK to use a paci without nipple confusion but I would still be careful for a few more weeks so you both become breastfeeding pros. My DS had no trouble switching back and forth...That boy will eat like its nobodys business! Although I did use one for a short time I would reccommend comfort nursing instead if youve got the time for it. Itll help your supply more and baby wont overfeed on you she will just suck softly so it comforts her and wont take much milk in.

307mama
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Mobile Photo

I use one. He will comfort nurse forever! If I don't. So it really only used while he is sleeping. He rarely takes it otherwise. Also we live in an area that we easily change from 9,000 ft to 6,000 ft so he takes it in the car to help his ears. We just found a really cute one too!
skittlebeans88
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Both my kids use pacifiers. They are awesome
anxiousschk
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM

It's completely up to you and the baby.  

If you aren't using it to replace feedings, it's not generally a problem.  

We used a pacifier when DD2 was a newborn and only wanted to suck, not eat.  

If she was hungry, she wouldn't take it.  Ever.  

There was no nipple confusion or problems nursing with her.  

We only used it as a last resort, if she had already been eating (possibly even cluster feeding) for a long time and wasn't happy.  

She never really took to it and only wound up using them to chew on, but we did use them sometimes.  DD2 was EBF for the first 6 months.  (Still nurses, just started on some table food after that)

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM
First took one until 10 months. Second never wanted one. Totally up to you.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Up to you... You just don't want to be replacing feedings. We used them in the car and when someone else was caring for baby.
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM

A dummy? Is that a new word for pacifier? Lol 

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I wouldn't unless they showed clear signs of needing it. My eldest kids never needed them and I never understood why anyone would start a habit that they would have to break, but my third is very orally needy and constantly wants things in his mouth. He will refuse the breast but take a pacifier when nothing else calms him down at times. We use it sometimes, but not too much. I won't give it to him for much longer, he's almost 6 months old but right now we use one maybe 3-4 times a week.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM
It's not worth starting now:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaydensMama418
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I tried to breastfeed my Son Jayden. Couldnt get him to latch. So i pumped milk and put it in bottles for him. But I was only pumping 8oz both breast combined a day. So he was getting 2 4oz bottles of breastmilk and the rest were formula. His tummy was too sensitive for both so at about 3 months I had to go to straight formula. Jayden never took a pacifier. We'd give him one to chew on for teething. He'd never suck on it. He'd just hold it and chew. The past month he started using a Paci. Idk why. But every nap and at bedtime he has one and he loves having one in the car. To answer your question. Its best if they learn to self soothe. Learn to make themselves happy. Learn to fall asleep on there own without the need of singing, rocking, a pacifier. Thats why they say anyway. Id try a Paci. Your baby may not even take one. Jayden wouldnt and he was bottle fed. He takes one now at 8 1/2 months tho. I feel that its a personal decision and your babies decision whether to take a Paci or not. If you feel your baby needs soothed, Try the Paci. If the baby will take it fine. If not thats fine too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)