Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bleeding gums in 8 month old...

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

Makenzi just popped her two bottom teeth in at the same time a few weeks back... Up till then I had been washing her gums with a washcloth (yes, I am guilty of not doing it every time, but alas...) I tried to keep up with it as best I could.

I bought her first baby toothbrush and trainer paste (unnecessary, I know, but as soon as she sees anything coming at her face, e.g. Kleenex, medicine syringe, etc... it's an automatic head turn and fight) so I figured the sweet taste might allow me to spend a couple more seconds scrubbing ....

Anyway her gums bled. Is this normal?!

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
m.garcia21
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
It depends. Is she eating right? Is she fuzzy? My dds gum bled when she was one but ahe was also very fuzzy. I took her to the dr and they told me she had gingivitis. But she also already had a full set of teeth. You could just be brushing to hard tou.
Nolanzo
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting m.garcia21: It depends. Is she eating right? Is she fuzzy? My dds gum bled when she was one but ahe was also very fuzzy. I took her to the dr and they told me she had gingivitis. But she also already had a full set of teeth. You could just be brushing to hard tou.

Thank you for your thoughts... she's not fussy and is perfectly happy at all times unless tired or hungry.

I tried to be as gentle as possible... I am going to ask her ped about the gingivitis. Thank you :)

angela.bouchard
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I never used that with my son. bump!

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure.  Dd's gums never bled, maybe find a pediatric dentist to call and ask???

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, my vote is leaning towards not normal but I'm not highly educated on matters of the teeth, lol

Jenn8604
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
If she's cutting a new tooth it could be that when you brushed over it it bled. Either way they recommend them seeing a dentist after the first tooth comes in anyway. So now sounds like as good a time as any to find a pediatric dentist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarenM42
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
My guess is the bleeding was caused by the bristles of the toothbrush. Her gums aren't used to them yet. I would doubt she would have gingivitis at such a young age. She hasn't had teeth long enough!
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

When my daughter started cutting teeth, it was pretty much back to back non-stop from 4 months to about 8 months and then she started cutting her molars.  She had all of her teeth by 14 months.  I only started brushing her teeth when she had more than 4 in.  I never noticed any bleeding.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys never bled so not sure.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)