Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some food and nap advice for my almost 9 month old baby

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 12 Replies

My Son Jayden is gonna be 9 months old January 18th. Hes starting to talk alot more. He says Mom all day everyday. Hes eating graduates banana puffs by himself. He is trying to crawl and loves using furniture and me and his Dad as help to stand up. Hes getting really big. He is my first child so im always worried about if hes getting enough sleep, food, nutrients, play time. Im always worried. Probably always will be. Jayden usually eats 4- 5 bottles a day. All different oz. He usually take 3-4 naps too. Most 30 mins. Once in a while he'll take a hour or longer nap. This is his schedule from yesterday. Tell me what ya think.

Midmorning 12:20AM Had a bottle(4.5oz) and a diaper change

Woke up 7:30AM Bottle (5.5oz)

Nap 8:49AM to 9:25AM (36 Mins)

Breakfast 10:57AM (2 1/2 scoops of Oatmeal Cereal, Half Jar of Raspberries and Pears, 3oz bottle)

Nap 11:36AM to 12:40PM (1 hour 4 mins)

Lunch 2:51PM (Carrots, 4.5oz Bottle)

Nap 3:16PM to 3:36PM (30 Mins)

Around 5PM he had a few graduates banana bites

Bathtime and cereal bottle (8oz) 7:16PM 

Bedtime 8:25PM

Heres his schedule so far today

Midmorning 3:30AM Bottle (6oz) and diaper change

Woke up 7:30AM

Breakfast 8:25AM (2 1/2 scoops of Cereal, Half a pack of Apples and blueberry yogurt, 3oz bottle)

Nap 9:22AM to 10:02AM (40 Mins)

Jayden will eat another bottle around 12:30. Then will more then likely want another nap around 1. He'll probably sleep 20-40 mins. He'll wake up. Play with his toys. Spend some time in his jumperoo. Have lunch at around 330-4. Then he'll take another nap. Usually 20-30 mins long. We will play with toys and watch cartoons until 7PM. Then I hand him off too his Daddy so I can get the house straightened up and his bowls he ate out of during the day. Around 7:15 his Dad will give him a bath. Then right after his bath he'll have a 8oz bottle. 6oz water, 3 scoops formula, 3 1/2 scoops oatmeal cereal. He eats. I give him his zyrtec right afterwards. I wash and sterilize his bottles while he hangs out in his bouncer beside his Dad. Then ill bounce him in his bouncer until he falls asleep. Usually 8-830 he'll fall asleep. Then he'll get up once in the middle of the night for a diaper change and 6oz bottle. He usually sleeps a full 12 hours. 

The questions I have are is he eating enough. Napping enough. Is he getting enough formula and solids for a 8 1/2 month old. I never know when to lay him down either. Hes either over sleepy or not tired enough so he flips out for naps. He falls asleep in his swing for every nap and if I stop swinging him his nap is cut short. Hes gotta have movement to fall asleep. When do you lay your baby down? Does your baby have to have movement to sleep too? I know im asking alot of questions. But like I said ive only been a Mommy for 8 months. Anwers would be much appreciated.

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkfairy0206
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I think you did a poster similar a couple months ago? ? What is it you're worried about? ? I myself didn't give my kids table food until after a year they were also nursed until a year (my 3 daughter's) my son was 2 1/2. It seems you're just to judgemental of yourself? ?
JaydensMama418
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Not judgemental. Just wanna make sure hes getting everything he needs.

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It sounds like you're doing okay, especially if your baby is growing well, meeting milestones, and is generally happy. I have a hard time getting my 9 month old down for a nap too, so he normally ends up falling asleep while nursing or if I'm wearing him. The only time he'll let me put him in his crib is at bedtime.

tuckermum
by Crysta on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Food before one is just for fun. So don't worry about how much food he is getting. His main nutrition would be from the formula. My ds is almost one and still wont eat food. He is ebf. Ds also never puts himself to sleep so I've always had to rock or nurse him to sleep. If he is happy and healthy I wouldn't worry so much. :)
JaydensMama418
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Jayden sleeps in a pack n play in my room. His crib wont fit and his Dr told me to prop his head up with a pillow to help his acid reflux. So I keep him in my room with us for now. But I have to bounce him to sleep for bedtime. Sometimes we'll lay him down in his pack n play when hes asleep and he'll wake up mulitple times to be bounced back to sleep. Most of the time he sleeps all night with no problems. But this past week except last night hes woken up 3 or 4 times to be bounced back to sleep. Its exhausting. We kept having to buy batteries for his swing. It ate batteries like nothing. We were putting new batteries in his swing every other day. So we stopped buying them and started using ourselves to push him. He'll fall asleep but if you stop swinging him he wakes up not very happy. Even when I do swing him he wakes up screaming. This past month he started taking pacifiers. Why idk. We use to give him one to chew on for his teething. But he never sucked on one and needed one like he does now. He wakes up tired every nap. Its like he doesnt get enough nap time. 20-30 mins aint alot. He'll wake up crying and 30 mins after he wakes up hes rubbing his eyes and yawning wanting laid back down. Usually he wont take a nap inless hes got a full tummy. He has to eat before a nap. So hes usually cranky until hes hungry again. Then after he eats he'll finally lay back down. Once in a while he'll take a hour or longer nap. But most of the time its 20-40 mins long. I always feel bad cause hes still tired. He just woke up from a nap at 10 and hes wanting another nap. Rubbing his eyes, fussy, yawning. I noticed when hes tired he holds onto me and says Mum. Hes doing that to. But if I lay him down he wont nap. Hes not gonna want to eat until noon or 1230. So he will be fussy until after his bottle and I lay him down for a nap. Idk why he does that.

Quoting mrsniebo:

It sounds like you're doing okay, especially if your baby is growing well, meeting milestones, and is generally happy. I have a hard time getting my 9 month old down for a nap too, so he normally ends up falling asleep while nursing or if I'm wearing him. The only time he'll let me put him in his crib is at bedtime.

JaydensMama418
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Im brand new at this so im learning along the way. I know formula is suppose to be best for his age. But other babies his age are eating solids 3 times a day. Hes only eating it twice. He doesnt act like he needs anymore solids. I just worry lol.

Quoting tuckermum: Food before one is just for fun. So don't worry about how much food he is getting. His main nutrition would be from the formula. My ds is almost one and still wont eat food. He is ebf. Ds also never puts himself to sleep so I've always had to rock or nurse him to sleep. If he is happy and healthy I wouldn't worry so much. :)

Sebbiemama
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Sounds fine! I always worked on getting my babies to sleep in their cribs around 4 months and by 8-9 months they mostly took 2 naps, but they also never slept as well as your son at night so if his napping arrangement works for you guys then it works. This is one of those "every baby is different" things. With my first boy I worried a lot more about this kind of stuff too. He is a sensitive little introvert who is just naturally on the skinny side, so he wasn't one of those chubby babies who always smiled and I was always worrying that I was screwing up and making him unhappy. But as he grew I came to understand that if I'm attentive and loving enough to worry about all these little details, then chances are good that we're both doing just fine. 

Try to make a point to set the worries aside for a little bit each day and just enjoy this sweet time in his life. 

angela.bouchard
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM

It does sound like a lot of naps. I never used a swing for my son so he never needed movement in order to fall asleep. The food/bottle intake sounds normal. 

JaydensMama418
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM

This is by far the best age. Hes learning so much and hes such a happy baby. 

Quoting Sebbiemama:

Sounds fine! I always worked on getting my babies to sleep in their cribs around 4 months and by 8-9 months they mostly took 2 naps, but they also never slept as well as your son at night so if his napping arrangement works for you guys then it works. This is one of those "every baby is different" things. With my first boy I worried a lot more about this kind of stuff too. He is a sensitive little introvert who is just naturally on the skinny side, so he wasn't one of those chubby babies who always smiled and I was always worrying that I was screwing up and making him unhappy. But as he grew I came to understand that if I'm attentive and loving enough to worry about all these little details, then chances are good that we're both doing just fine. 

Try to make a point to set the worries aside for a little bit each day and just enjoy this sweet time in his life. 

JaydensMama418
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Thanks hun =)

Quoting angela.bouchard:

It does sound like a lot of naps. I never used a swing for my son so he never needed movement in order to fall asleep. The food/bottle intake sounds normal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)